From bad to worse! Any advice

Hi

we have an oldish Morso Squirrel burner (20 years old)

Lit this year and glass cracked

managed to get old glass out (with some help from some heat) and only had to retap 1 bolt

New glass installed - but I noticed the rope seal was going “home” so removed old rope - wire brushed etc - new cement - new 8mm rope - but door now won’t close - and because I punched against the stove so hard - the flue has become lose. Oh woe oh woe.

So I’m looking for advice

1 . Any reasons why door won’t close once new 8mm rope installed; and (even more worrying)

2. What do I need to do about the lose flue?

any advice (or pointers) appreciated

The flue can sit centrally on the stove; I moved it to show problem

Richard

FCAF5B32-91A1-4628-B97E-AEAA20D609AD.jpeg

53E060C6-37D6-45CC-A15B-22E3ABC15845.jpeg

5DCE5120-B4D8-4701-A563-A68E0EBAF64C.jpeg

E23B5000-809E-47E2-9EC2-26A94ABB6B6B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, RichardinOrford said:

Hi

managed to get old glass out (with some help from some heat) and only had to retap 1 bolt

New glass installed - but I noticed the rope seal was going “home” so removed old rope - wire brushed etc - new cement - new 8mm rope - but door now won’t close - and because I punched against the stove so hard - the flue has become lose. Oh woe oh woe.

1 . Any reasons why door won’t close once new 8mm rope installed; and (even more worrying)

Richard

When you applied the glue, and stuck the room in, did you close the door to squash it all together? I made the mistake of not doing this, and then I couldnt shut the door and had to start again!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichardinOrford said:

Hi

Richard

Dont know why door don,t close but does your hand hurt after punching it??

Tried to shut door straight away after putting in new rope - but it didn’t want to close. I took rope out and tried door again with no rope - shuts fine (but obviously loose). Just put rope along top and bottom edge to see if door would close - and it just about did - but it’s not right. 

haven’t got a clue what’s going on

I don't know about your stove but on mine you can adjust the door catch. When I replaced the old rope (which had squished flat over the years) I had to adjust the catch a little as the new rope doesn't squish as much. Over time I've also had to adjust the hinges to get a good seal.

As for the flue, I'd get someone in if you don't know what you are doing. You don't want flue gases escaping.

2 minutes ago, RichardinOrford said:

Hi

Richard

1, Was the previous rope 8mm? It might have been a different profile too? Ie not cylindrical and more of a flat type?

It you've replaced like for like then maybe the new one needed stretched out a little? Whenever I replace mine I stretch and glue as I go. 

And I think the glue bottle says not to close til the glue is dry?

2, Is that the casting sheared off? If it is then its goosed, unless it has sentimental value and you want it welded up.

20 years old is not a bad innings really. The Squirrels really hold their value, might be time to flog it and buy a new one? 

• Like 2

I've got one of these and if I remember correctly I had a similar problem in that I bought the wrong 8mm rope, there's 2 types... ordinary and soft hairy for want of the proper name, it's the later you need probably it more flexible ...bungee like.

Even with the right rope the door's a bit of a push when it's new... but you definitely don't want to force it as the door frame can flex putting the glass at risk.

The flue is held in place by 2 small screws with large washers that go up into the collar from the bottom, there prone to rotting away, you need to remove the throat plate to get at them....also there's meant to be the same rope between the collar and the stove top.

good luck