From bad to worse! Any advice

9 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I've got one of these and if I remember correctly I had a similar problem in that I bought the wrong 8mm rope, there's 2 types... ordinary and soft hairy for want of the proper name, it's the later you need probably it more flexible ...bungee like.

Even with the right rope the door's a bit of a push when it's new... but you definitely don't want to force it as the door frame can flex putting the glass at risk.

The flue is held in place by 2 small screws with large washers that go up into the collar from the bottom, there prone to rotting away, you need to remove the throat plate to get at them....also there's meant to be the same rope between the collar and the stove top.

good luck

I can see the 2 small screws on this exploded drawing - I'll have a go at finding them tomorrow (in the light). Few more questions (and thanks for helping)

1. I'm guessing the collar should have 2 x female threaded parts? chances are the bolts / screws would have sheared off and I won't be able to get them out. In that case is it possible to take collar off of flue so I can get it into a workshop to retap the collar?

2. or would it be simpler to replace the collar (part 44140921) and flue piece?

image.thumb.png.72f2a3c0a633b2a1d502ca485ca3e4ed.png 

Well on this depiction it look like the screws go down from the top and screw into 2 small retaining plates which will be threaded, mine is the opposite in that they go up from the bottom with washers and the 2 lugs on the collar are tapped 5mm.

I recon you'll get them out ok as their a bit toy town with a sloppy thread, only 3 or 4 threads.

This has been covered before on here and although I was planning to beef up this puny connection which fails easily it was explained by someone with more experience than I on this subject that these screws are meant to be a weak link in order to protect the other parts.....although I did replace then with stainless replacements as they seemed to have rusted away.

Now that you've put up that diagram I recon the bolt / nut going down from the top [ perhaps earlier ] is probably a better way of doing it if you can raise the flue to get at it.....I've got a telescopic joint in the first bit of flue as I live in a wood cabin which moves with the weather....your collar looks fairly well attached but it should be possible to do some sort of job from below.

Cheers 

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

1, Was the previous rope 8mm? It might have been a different profile too? Ie not cylindrical and more of a flat type?

It you've replaced like for like then maybe the new one needed stretched out a little? Whenever I replace mine I stretch and glue as I go. 

And I think the glue bottle says not to close til the glue is dry?

2, Is that the casting sheared off? If it is then its goosed, unless it has sentimental value and you want it welded up.

20 years old is not a bad innings really. The Squirrels really hold their value, might be time to flog it and buy a new one? 

Just put a new rope in my Burley and yes stretched it , me on one end and my boy on the other .

8 hours ago, RichardinOrford said:

Also - should there be a SEALANT

Just the rope....at least on mine which is only about 12 years old....and I don't have a link but it was probably within the last year but the original thread subject could have been anything.....

from your pics would gravity not almost be enough to hold the flue in place with a little sealant and only the slightest tether, when it warms up the flue will expand and help .