Norwood bandmill part needed....ideas?

Squaredy

Now this may sound daft, but I need four of this part for my Norwood HD36:

It is a sleeve which fits into a slider used to adjust the position of the adjustable blade roller.

I have of course contacted the agent (Davies Implements) and they have the whole assembly there for around £200.  Which is fine but these little sleeves pop in and out so easily it is crazy to throw away the whole thing for a couple of grams of nylon.  Any bright ideas?

I know it is the modern way to replace whole assemblies but I do resist it when I can as it is so wasteful.

Slider HD36.JPG

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Now this may sound daft, but I need four of this part for my Norwood HD36:

It is a sleeve which fits into a slider used to adjust the position of the adjustable blade roller.

I have of course contacted the agent (Davies Implements) and they have the whole assembly there for around £200.  Which is fine but these little sleeves pop in and out so easily it is crazy to throw away the whole thing for a couple of grams of nylon.  Any bright ideas?

I know it is the modern way to replace whole assemblies but I do resist it when I can as it is so wasteful.

Slider HD36.JPG

Could you not pop to a local machinist or do you know anyone whom could make those out of brass or something similar?? 
you got a pic of the whole assembly ?? 

3 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Could you not pop to a local machinist or do you know anyone whom could make those out of brass or something similar?? 
you got a pic of the whole assembly ?? 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have asked someone if they can produce them with a 3d printer.  I can't think of anyone who could make it in brass - it is so thin I am not sure if this is feasible.  I will post a pic of the assembly tomorrow.

I have contacted Norwood in the USA who are meant to be getting back to me, but no joy yet.  I somehow doubt they will help me as it would lose them spare parts sales.  And the parts are all crazy prices - especially in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have asked someone if they can produce them with a 3d printer.  I can't think of anyone who could make it in brass - it is so thin I am not sure if this is feasible.  I will post a pic of the assembly tomorrow.

I have contacted Norwood in the USA who are meant to be getting back to me, but no joy yet.  I somehow doubt they will help me as it would lose them spare parts sales.  And the parts are all crazy prices - especially in the UK.

I’d maybe get the OD and wall thickness etc of the component and see if I could get pipe or stock to match then poss groove it out to suit. For £200 I’d defo give it a whirl, chances are if done right it will probably be an improvement on the original. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

I doubt it is nylon, probably ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene

Many many years ago this firm

WWW.AQUARIUSPLASTICS.CO.UK

Aquarius Plastics is an experienced manufacturer of polyethylene sheet, rods and tubes, with custom machining...

Supplied me with two sets of wear plates for my FMV crane extension slider, the first set is still in there without appreciable wear. My mate milled them to shape on a normal NC mill.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt it is nylon, probably ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene

Many many years ago this firm

WWW.AQUARIUSPLASTICS.CO.UK

Aquarius Plastics is an experienced manufacturer of polyethylene sheet, rods and tubes, with custom machining...

Supplied me with two sets of wear plates for my FMV crane extension slider, the first set is still in there without appreciable wear. My mate milled them to shape on a normal NC mill.

Thanks for that link.  I will look into them.  It might not be feasible to commission someone to make them as a one-off as it is not worthwhile for them for peanuts.  I almost feel I just need to come across a tube of the right diameter and to fudge it.  I will probably mess about with it for a few days and then give up and buy the whole assembly. 

But I haven't given up yet!

The biggest company making that kind of bush is igus, German firm but have a UK base so send out next day. Website is pretty good.

You can either buy bushes or they sell bar stock for you to machine your own. Might be an igus part itself or else maybe you can slit out the side of some standard bushes.

Have you got any measurements?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

The biggest company making that kind of bush is igus, German firm but have a UK base so send out next day. Website is pretty good.

You can either buy bushes or they sell bar stock for you to machine your own. Might be an igus part itself or else maybe you can slit out the side of some standard bushes.

Have you got any measurements?

Also very interesting and thank you.  I can measure tomorrow, and I will look into this and let you very helpful Arbtalkers know.

I think our governments should ask for guidance from Arbtalkers on a range of issues...

• Like 2