Records of inspection LOLER type stuff

Dilz

As a sole subby cant say ive been very good at keeping regualr records of inspections but rules are touch different here, (i.e you get away with it unless something goes really wrong if you are a one man band) 

BUT have been called up on it and muttered at and also raising my game as bit.  

Question is,,, is it better to have an inspection sheet for each indvidual item (like is found in say teufelberger manulas) OR one big sheet listing all the kit that gets filled out every inspection?  Just thinking which would actually produce the least amount of paper / printing / storage and work better. 

I know what you mean about 'not very good at records' but certainly keep a close eye on all my kit.

I made some grid sheets which have a few columns on the left for item, serial, date entered service and then one columns per week for inspection. Each item is then a row, so it takes three sheets to do all my kit, which I think is better than one sheet per item - would be a folder to go through.

4 hours ago, Dilz said:

As a sole subby cant say ive been very good at keeping regualr records of inspections but rules are touch different here, (i.e you get away with it unless something goes really wrong if you are a one man band) 

Question is,,, is it better to have an inspection sheet for each indvidual item (like is found in say teufelberger manulas) OR one big sheet listing all the kit that gets filled out every inspection?  Just thinking which would actually produce the least amount of paper / printing / storage and work better. 

I'm not involved any more but did keep a spreadsheet to keep a check on dates but a printed and signed paper copy for the lads to have on site with their risk assesment, if I only did domestic work I would just use the spreadsheet.

A paper copy of an up to date LOLER examination kept in the office/house and a laminated copy kept in your kit-bag would suffice.

Trying to keep individual record sheets for each individual piece of kit sounds like a nightmare.

4 hours ago, TIMON said:

A paper copy of an up to date LOLER examination kept in the office/house and a laminated copy kept in your kit-bag would suffice.

Trying to keep individual record sheets for each individual piece of kit sounds like a nightmare.

We dont actually have LOLER over here, we have a rule that says 12 month inspection by a competant person, and its very vauge as to what counts as a competant person, but basically if you have some kind of climbing quaification you are pretty much counted as competant unless you are in a big rope access company.  

My main issue is, using a single sheet for all the kit, then all the serial numbers etc need constantly typing / writing up again, Figured individual sheets would last as long as the kit and then its easy to add in new stuff... that said...i havent counted all my bits of kit just for climbing...but there is fair amount, 10 page worth of karabiners at least...and then there is the rigging...but thats not PPE and its only the PPE over here that needs to be inspected. 

• Like 1

We dont actually have LOLER over here, we have a rule that says 12 month inspection by a competant person, and its very vauge as to what counts as a competant person, but basically if you have some kind of climbing quaification you are pretty much counted as competant unless you are in a big rope access company.  

My main issue is, using a single sheet for all the kit, then all the serial numbers etc need constantly typing / writing up again, Figured individual sheets would last as long as the kit and then its easy to add in new stuff... that said...i havent counted all my bits of kit just for climbing...but there is fair amount, 10 page worth of karabiners at least...and then there is the rigging...but thats not PPE and its only the PPE over here that needs to be inspected. 

Not sure where you’re based. Making a template listing your kit with blank squares for new acquisitions would help. That way you just fill in the template at each inspection.
10 pages of Krabs for one kit seems very excessive!!
That would be around 100 items on the sheets that I use.
(I thought I was bad, lol)
Maybe streamline your kit ?? [emoji51]

23 hours ago, TIMON said:

Not sure where you’re based. Making a template listing your kit with blank squares for new acquisitions would help. That way you just fill in the template at each inspection.
10 pages of Krabs for one kit seems very excessive!!
That would be around 100 items on the sheets that I use.
(I thought I was bad, lol)
Maybe streamline your kit ?? emoji51.png

Big tree SRT, short SRT, DRT set up, Fruit tree rope, rescue kit, Two zig zags lock jack sport and hitch climber with rope wrench. 5m side strop with pinto , wire core with positioner, base anchor (snake) Thimble top anchor for SRT / pulley saver for DRT... all krabbed up and bagged up ready to grab ( and then there are all the extras..e.g Dmm hook with belay, figure of 8 etc etc... travel light move fast. 

• Like 1

Big tree SRT, short SRT, DRT set up, Fruit tree rope, rescue kit, Two zig zags lock jack sport and hitch climber with rope wrench. 5m side strop with pinto , wire core with positioner, base anchor (snake) Thimble top anchor for SRT / pulley saver for DRT... all krabbed up and bagged up ready to grab ( and then there are all the extras..e.g Dmm hook with belay, figure of 8 etc etc... travel light move fast. 

Sounds like a great set up and system to work to.
What about a laminated sheet (from an existing template) for each separate system?