wasp hornet or worse

openspaceman

That's a common Eurpoean hornet, i.e. a native and nothing to worry about.

They are larger than the Asian Hornet's us beekeepers are worried about and have more orange and yellow in them. The Asian Hornet, Vespa velutina, has a mostly black body.

This might be helpful: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/downloadDocument.cfm?id=646

I currently have a hornet nest in the garden so see them on a daily basis.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

That's a common Eurpoean hornet, i.e. a native and nothing to worry about.

They are larger than the Asian Hornet's us beekeepers are worried about and have more orange and yellow in them. The Asian Hornet, Vespa velutina, has a mostly black body.

This might be helpful: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/downloadDocument.cfm?id=646

I currently have a hornet nest in the garden so see them on a daily basis.

Thanks Paul, I thought the brown band on the abdomen by the thorax was a bit too wide for a common hornet. Here's a better picture to confirm before I let her go.hornet.thumb.jpeg.3bac727217c544040357b5ea0830e21d.jpeg

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes she was a hornet but I have seldom seen one close up and not flying. She had a damaged wing and I'm not sure if she managed to fly off.

Sorry- it might have been the one I chased out of my yard with a flamethrower earlier yesterday...

Loads of hornets this year (but far fewer Asians over here). They do come in all colours, shapes and sizes though. First pic : three of them having a bit of a moment on top of the 'wasp trap.  Second pic: emptying trap after just one week - mainly hornets and (unfortunately) a couple of big moths.

IMG_0102.JPG

20200908_142305.jpg