Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Quote. Hamadryad - 09.01.10 - in “Fullcrown reductions on pine trees” post 51.

“The customer is not always right, that’s what you’re there for ……

There is no excuse for bad work . Period”

Quote Hamadryad - 13.01.10 in this thread “So the guy says take as much as you can off the tree, cut it as hard back from neighbours as poss”

Quote Hamadryad - “ I would have cut off less, but he specifically demanded as much as possible …… When clients make the spec that’s their doing ….

Which is it to be hamadryad ?????

Busted!! :lol::lol:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the end product looks astheticly pleasing but i think that in some ways he has made a bit of a rod for his own back because there looks to be quite a bit of lion tailing throughout the canory , im not knocking you im mearly expressing my oppinion.I thimk we have all been in this situation at some point or another , i was asked to take the entire side of a semi mature oak off just so that the client could get sky television , i tried my best to exlpain that its totally against bs standards and more than that it goes totally against the grain for me personally , i tried reducing the one side whist being sympathetic and it did not woro so in the end i did have to do as he wanted , personally i would rather have felled the tree rather than leave it in the condition that i did

Thank god its only the owner that can see it !!!!!

Quote. Hamadryad - 09.01.10 - in “Fullcrown reductions on pine trees” post 51.

“The customer is not always right, that’s what you’re there for ……

There is no excuse for bad work . Period”

Quote Hamadryad - 13.01.10 in this thread “So the guy says take as much as you can off the tree, cut it as hard back from neighbours as poss”

Quote Hamadryad - “ I would have cut off less, but he specifically demanded as much as possible …… When clients make the spec that’s their doing ….

Which is it to be hamadryad ?????

This job is not bad work, and anyone who thinks it is needs to go to green lane bovingdon to have a proper look IMO

I will shoot it in spring, and post em.

When deciding what a tree can take, there are lots of things to take into consideration, and this tree was in full youthfull vigour and as vital as it gets.

The photo cant show you how little inner growth there was to this previously reduced tree, nor can you see ALL the fine growth as this tends to get burnt out against the sky.

I have left more than enough leaf area in the upper crown to avoid sun scald and it is only those two or three phototropic limbs that have very litttle growth upon them.

all of the cuts bar one, by the phone lines, are less than 50-60mm -30-40mm 0n average across and will no doubt be well occluded within two to three years as indicated by previous cuts.

having allowed light to penetrate the crown inner growth willl develope allowing if done within three to five a much nicer framework.

the client isnt always right, and thats what your there for I have done the absolute best job possible with what he asked for which was to remove as much as possible without harming the tree. I will prove this over time with progressive images, just for proving this as I had no idea this was going to become such a long thread and was just venting my fustration!

Of course people will discuss posts, its the whole point of a discussion forum. If you make a statement here, it made for eternity, and people will always drag it up at an opportune moment. Surely you dont expect people not to comment, when you invite them to comment in your opening post?

FWIW, I think the tree has perhaps been 'over-done", too thin, esp given its a copper beech. But saying this, the client is paying you to do what they want, you can advise them to eternity, but if you dont give them the result that they seek, they arent going to pay, and someone with perhaps less care will butcher the tree in the future. Your tree here doesnt have a bad shape now, and hopefully will look well when in leaf.

It will probably grow back fine. As normal Beech not copper, but it will grow back!

That would be funny, if you took another picture in full leaf and it had completly reverted to green leaves due to stress!

The customer is always right, thats where you getting confused. And when they are wrong (90% of the time) you have to let them think they are right, that is the skills of a tree surgeon/arborist.