Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

So the guy says take as much as you can off the tree, a nice purple beech, cut it as hard back from nieghbours as poss.

Apparently i took too much off! I removed less than a yard of chip and four barrow loads of small diameter logs for his fire!

Excellent work Hama,

You did exactly what the guy asked for and made a very good job of it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hamad. Did you count to ten before you wrote that response like I said. I'm making an effort here mate. How about we chill out now and discuss this calmly. Thank you by the way for my first WTF I've always wanted one of those.

LOL, no worries fella, as for the calm bit unfortunatley i am wayyyyy to passionate to be able to contain iether my enthusiasm or heated palet when given a post that is prevocative!

Besides some poeple like fishing, and being the generous dude I am i like to oblige the "noddy" anglers and be a "mug fish" for thier sakes, it is entertainment!

the responses to your threads have nothing to do with the topic tony, all your threads get an amazing amount of responses, its YOU that is the topic everytime, i think everyone can see a bit of themselves in you, if i hadnt seen your picture in the lunge thread i would of thought you were about 17, nothing to do with imaturity but your arrogant confidence and the stick 2 fingers up at everyone approach, you cant take critisism so dont say you dont mind it, you HATE it, you think everything you do is amazing and cant undersatnd when others dont agree with you, maybe its not the rest of the world getting at you, maybe it is you. I mean this in the best possible way, i like you, i have from the start but you really need to chill out and realise you arent the only one in the country with a saw and harness.:001_smile:And there is more to life than trimming trees, its just a job:thumbup1:

I get gunned plenty for many things, thats not a problem for me. I just think that there is no right or wrong with reductions, so posting pictures of your (ones) work is a bit pointless, un less your happy to get ripped to pieces for no reason cos generally that is what happens.

No-one agrees on much cos its so objective (or subjective I'm not sure which) but then those who think something is ok will probably say its crap just to stir things up, so the conversation goes round and round and gets no where, but that is part of the fun of the forum I guess.

From my point, I don't think I've said much about this reduction, because like I say its pointless, all I pointed out was that I don't think you listened to the customer very well.

If you search through, you might find some reductions that have been posted by people with very little experience. Some of the pics are not the best work in the world but the generall responses are encouragement and praise, because that is what we do. Encourage the new guys and tell them they have done well, and then rip the old hands to peices cos they can take it and its fun!!

You and I are old hands, well past needing anyone to tell us we've done a good job!

Except when it comes in the form of genuine sarcasm from Tim!

the responses to your threads have nothing to do with the topic tony, all your threads get an amazing amount of responses, its YOU that is the topic everytime, i think everyone can see a bit of themselves in you, if i hadnt seen your picture in the lunge thread i would of thought you were about 17, nothing to do with imaturity but your arrogant confidence and the stick 2 fingers up at everyone approach, you cant take critisism so dont say you dont mind it, you HATE it, you think everything you do is amazing and cant undersatnd when others dont agree with you, maybe its not the rest of the world getting at you, maybe it is you. I mean this in the best possible way, i like you, i have from the start but you really need to chill out and realise you arent the only one in the country with a saw and harness.:001_smile:And there is more to life than trimming trees, its just a job:thumbup1:

Wow, i am sorry you feel that way, it sounds like your speaking for others too, certainly implying it!

Shrek, seriously no problem m8, as for being 17, if you still had the drive passion and enthusiasm i have at 37 after 22 years in that is a quality I am happy to own up to, and i will never change it!

I am certain some day, at a show some place I will get a chance to buy you a pint and give you the oportunity to REALY evaluate the person i am, but for now you asume way too much!

As for my threads becoming more about me than the subject, that is the doing of others, i merely reply, or am i missing something horrifying like some narcasistic fruit cake?

i am no master with the keyboard or getting my point across, i speak for myself and if i am way off then it wouldnt be the first time, i have no right to judge you, i am just trying to help you. I am obviously not and i dont want to offend or hurt any ones feelings, i apologise if i have read you the wrong way mate.:001_smile:

I get gunned plenty for many things, thats not a problem for me. I just think that there is no right or wrong with reductions, so posting pictures of your (ones) work is a bit pointless, un less your happy to get ripped to pieces for no reason cos generally that is what happens.

No-one agrees on much cos its so objective (or subjective I'm not sure which) but then those who think something is ok will probably say its crap just to stir things up, so the conversation goes round and round and gets no where, but that is part of the fun of the forum I guess.

From my point, I don't think I've said much about this reduction, because like I say its pointless, all I pointed out was that I don't think you listened to the customer very well.

If you search through, you might find some reductions that have been posted by people with very little experience. Some of the pics are not the best work in the world but the generall responses are encouragement and praise, because that is what we do. Encourage the new guys and tell them they have done well, and then rip the old hands to peices cos they can take it and its fun!!

You and I are old hands, well past needing anyone to tell us we've done a good job!

Except when it comes in the form of genuine sarcasm from Tim!

I get what your saying, and a lot of whats said is as you point out pointless.

It is as far as i can see like being in a bar full of arbs, talking shop, to me thats a first, cos I am with a small firm and my colleugues do not want to talk shop, they take thier money and go home, and that is their lot.

I am here for same as you lot, to see what others think, what alternative views there are to be had. You cant evaluate your own thinking without comparing it to a group thought proscess. This place is invaluable for that.

It is no joke when I say I only seek to learn from my pressence here, they say in order to get better at something you have to play with those who can beat you at your own game. I only want to be the best i can be and hence i come here as there are many great guys in here who i stand to gain much from, yes even you rupe!

A lot of folk have me all wrong, but thats my fault, cos I rise to the occasion when folk try to make a monkey of me, that is hard to control! You know what they say, ask a dumb question and youll get a dumb answer, and a lot of talk is often as you say pointless. i would rather stick to topic personaly, the only thing I learn from this kind of input is what we are like as people, and whilst i love making new friends, thats not what i am after from this forum!

I liked Hama's work on that Copper Beech. Most clients expecting to see a 'hatrack' are amazed that mitigation and structural reduction can be accomplished while retaining the form of the tree but generally they need to be present to appreciate the skill and deliberation that goes into a proper reduction. Hama's client wasn't present during the job so couldn't comprehend what was required to do the work.

Its worth remembering when you crown reduce any tree you remove the apical dominance or at the very least mess with the tree's natural growth process and very often, if and when a subordinate starts to take over, a structural weakness or defect begins to take form

For a great example of a reduction on a Copper Beech skip to 1.00 min in this vid, some folk might say the inner canopy has been ripped, but then the overall effect is excellent -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdVHId5jr4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - nick bailey tree surgeon manchester[/ame]

Hi Chaps

First let me say, ive read the first page of replies and the top of the second and then thought this was going off on one so if i repeat what any one else has said im sorry frthe repotiion.

First, and formost.. WELL DONE HAMADRYAD, seriously it takes guts to hold your work up for other critisisum, i salute you.

the thing i find interesting about this thread is it, to me summs up the aim of the arb assosiation, 'to advance the ART and Science...........'

the reson i say that is when i look at the pics its a bit hard to fully judge never tha same as bing there looking, but also thay are shot from differant aspects, but the SCIENCE of cut placement is fine, it would pass a CS40, the retained shape is accepterble, etc in terms of ammout removed it would be behond what 3998 gennerally suports but the 'science' is ok, not spot on but ok

but then the ART, this is wear i think paths have diverged, what one sees as a good job another sees devisattion, and this is were arb is interesting, take all the peopple in this room and get them to do the same job they will all be difefrant, go even further, give them all exactly the same spec and there will be many 'interpriations' just like art.

and of cource we must not forget the customer driven approach hear. what they whant v what you do an interesting ethical dilema??? and one that is hard to answer, the customer is always right, except when they are wrong???

just my thoughts.

the job, my personal opinion good shape, but a little heavy handed for me, but agin well done this sorst of debate is what actually helps people understand some of the difficulties in an industry that does indeed have an artistic 'bent' to it.

cheers

kevin