Looking for good bypass loppers for shrub, fruit, vines tree, jobbing

FrankE

Hi I'm looking for a really good pair of loppers for pruning shrubs, fruit trees, root removal, chopping up stems for composting on my own and neighbours' properties  and perhaps for use in the botanic garden which includes an arboretum. Generally they are for pruning cuts my smaller loppers won't handle or a handsaw cut wouldn't be appropriate.

I'm considering: 

Felco 22 4.5cm dia
Felco 220 4cm dia
Felco 231 4cm dia
Stihl PB30 Extreme 5cm dia
Castellari?

I won't be using them all day every day and I'm not a climber or doing much overhead work so weight isn't so much an issue. Good quality, clean cut for minimal wounding of disease-susceptible specimens and replaceable parts are.

Any other brands / models (not consumer grade) I should look at?
(I'll pass on Darlac - I bought a pair of their Felco 13 bypass secateurs clearance at T K not expecting much and the  blades separate when cutting.) 

Thanks

Best lopper I reckon from NZ

Propruner-ex.jpg

WWW.MESHSAFETYGLASSES.COM

Heavy duty pruner, the P100 Pro-Pruner is the perfect tool for pruning large branches up to 65mm diameter.

Would never cut roots with them though and they don't  really like do 65mm unless its softwood or lime etc.

Expensive but worth the price leave a really smooth cut

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

You won't go far wrong with Bahco loppers. Do you also use a silky pruning saw? The best loppers in the world still don't make perfect cuts on the maximum diameter woods they are cutting, certainly with some species anyway. Maples for example quite often get little splits or bark tears when using loppers.

• Like 3

Have some bacho loppers they are good quality but cut isn't as neat as they the NZ ones which leave a smoother cut than a normal silky.

For fruit trees etc the fine tooth (higher tpi) silkys not the agressive  cut ones are better if you want to leave a really smooth cut.

• Like 1

For roots and nasty stuff I like the Fiskar PowerGear loppers, less than £40 from Screwfix, 27 or 34", absolute beasts. If you can fit it in the jaws it'll cut. I occassionally stone the cutting edge, they really produce a clean cut. Worth a try for the money, or just keep them for roots & brash. I use them in preference to a Silky for the cut.

I found some of the old model going for £10 and bought 3 pairs, gave one away and 3 years on my backup set remain unused as I've not managed to kill the first ones. The only negative is due to being geared the handles need to be wide open to get the big stuff in which can create access issues.

• Like 1