Lone working and safety in forestry

Sirius

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

Absolutely correct. Plus now you have posted, indefensible.  K

I seem to remember having to indicate the nearest place a chopper could land in the event you were bleeding out .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I seem to remember having to indicate the nearest place a chopper could land in the event you were bleeding out .

Where is this Mr Stubby  ??  I am usually careful leaving the Rose and Crown, thou that bottom step has claimed me on occasion.......   ?  K

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Where is this Mr Stubby  ??  I am usually careful leaving the Rose and Crown, thou that bottom step has claimed me on occasion.......   ?  K

No room for a Chinook in the car park Khriss ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Forestry commission banned it years ago, whoever you are.

Atleast in theory/on paper anyway.

As did most other forestry companies but in practice still the norm really.

Very rare for me ever to cut with anyone else on the saw.

Just got to be extra careful all the time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drinksloe said:

The trackers are only trackers they can't tell u wot ur doing.

Can they really tell the difference between u having a piss/ fag break or sharpening saw, cutting toes off/felling a tree or even snedding a tree.

Will only give a location to a 5 or 10m square and only every 5 or 10 mins ( depending how set up).

This was a driving job with a vehicle tracker fitted. The information system would give regular updates on location, speed etc If the vehicle had stopped an alert was sent out to HQ.It could have meant an accident or the driver had stopped for a piss, if the driver didn't phone in to say that he was having a piss then potentially some kind of rescue team was sent out.
In this particular case, on several occasions the driver failed to tell HQ about his break and a costly rescue team was sent out, which eventually led to him losing his job.

3 hours ago, little_p said:

This was a driving job with a vehicle tracker fitted. The information system would give regular updates on location, speed etc If the vehicle had stopped an alert was sent out to HQ.It could have meant an accident or the driver had stopped for a piss, if the driver didn't phone in to say that he was having a piss then potentially some kind of rescue team was sent out.
In this particular case, on several occasions the driver failed to tell HQ about his break and a costly rescue team was sent out, which eventually led to him losing his job.

That sounds a strange way to run a driving business, every time a vans stuck in traffic or traffic lights they send a rescue team out??

How long was ur mate pissing for??

Got mates that drive wagons all tracked and rigged up for speed fuel economy, revs etc, bosses used to have comps for most fuel efficient drivers, not sure the drivers were all onboard thou, they had there own comp who could drive the worst.

The personal trackers for forestry generally only emit a bleep/signal every so often ( 2mins- hourly, depending wot u set) but also have an SOS button too. 

And only accurate to a few m's, so u could probably fell a few trees  without it bleep ever moving

But in reality if u felling outsiders ur signal would hardly move all day, bit different if brashing but even still u'd never really be able to tell if u were just into heavy pappy Norway or having a dump.

Only real way to get caught would be sneaking off site early or boss comes out to spy on u as he knows exactly where u are ( but chances are even pre tracker he would know where u are and just follow the saw noise in )

1 minute ago, Will C said:

I was told a story of a lad that was given a tracker, he got sacked when he was found asleep in the truck while the dog wondered round the woods with the tracker on its collar ?

But did the dog fell any timber ?

• Haha 2