Lone working and safety in forestry

Sirius

2 hours ago, drinksloe said:

That sounds a strange way to run a driving business, every time a vans stuck in traffic or traffic lights they send a rescue team out??

How long was ur mate pissing for??

This particular chap was working nights driving a snow plough / gritter on some pretty remote roads. These roads are relatively hazardous in themselves, add in a big rig, slippy road conditions, poor visibility, working at nights and having to drive at a set speed, there was the potential for an accident.
With this chap it was thought that even he knew that he needed to phone in if he was stopping, but there was an element of 'fudge you' I'm not going to do it and eventually he was (literally) sent down the road.

The point that I was making is that it is great that workers are requesting that employers ensure that they have a safe workplace (as much as they 'reasonably' can), but it is then up the employees to ensure that themselves are following those safe practices. If they aren't, they are for the high-jump..... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

12 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Cheers for replys people.

I am looking at getting a apprentice type deal. Not ideal as I will prob spend more time teaching him so productivity will fall.

But I suppose if he can use a phone and do a first aid course it's better than a tracker imo.

Its a bite - and I work alone a lot - but god forbid there is an accident cos yr ****************ed.... and no money will cover that situation or legal consequences , mate. K