Chipper blade snapped

tonytree

Took these out our Schliesing a while ago_20200707_115654.jpeg_20200707_115730.jpeg_20200707_115751.jpeg

New boots, correctly tightened very clean faces as use one of these
_20200707_120016.jpeg
Sometimes it just happened but at £750 a set for this machine it's painful.

When I ran a forst we had a few sets of blades crack but never let go completely and eventually worked out it was sets that had been sharpened, never fully got to the bottom of it as had bigger problems to deal with but always suspected that the regrind changed the temper of the blades slightly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gray git said:

Am I missing something? It looks like those blades held on, albeit after losing some chunks, after hitting something very hard.

If you're going to chip stuff with contraries in then the Heizohack makes a good choice, cheap blades that snap often without damage to holders.

10 hours ago, Gray git said:

When I ran a forst we had a few sets of blades crack but never let go completely and eventually worked out it was sets that had been sharpened, never fully got to the bottom of it as had bigger problems to deal with but always suspected that the regrind changed the temper of the blades slightly.

I would have expect overheating during regrinding to lessen the brittleness

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gray git said:

Took these out our Schliesing a while ago_20200707_115654.jpeg_20200707_115730.jpeg_20200707_115751.jpeg

New boots, correctly tightened very clean faces as use one of these
_20200707_120016.jpeg

Is yours the ex - Cleartrack 550 with the whisper cut blades? If it is, they used to bust with monotonous regularity accord to a contact. I once started to watch a blade change and as soon as he opened the chamber, I noticed a crack, the blade was removed and rang. A dull tone! "Not again!" shouted the chap!

Could have been, definitely whisper blade's, chip really well on smaller material but not too sure about how they hold up on continuous large timber, traded it in against a 3 straight blade machine now as just cheaper to maintain.

We get a big hizo in for clearance jobs and have operated one for many hrs so all to familia how easy they are to maintain blade wise but unfortunately not perfect for us with affectively being side feed as our on our custom trailer rear feed is ideal.
Again ideally I'd be able to afford to have one of each for matching to the job

12 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Am I missing something? It looks like those blades held on, albeit after losing some chunks, after hitting something very hard.

If you're going to chip stuff with contraries in then the Heizohack makes a good choice, cheap blades that snap often without damage to holders.

Dry grinding of highly stressed heat treated steel can produce stress cracks  caused by local grind burns. Even a Queens flight helicopter was brought down by such a fault in the main rotor shaft.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gray git said:

We get a big hizo in for clearance jobs and have operated one for many hrs so all to familia how easy they are to maintain blade wise but unfortunately not perfect for us with affectively being side feed as our on our custom trailer rear feed is ideal.

Not put a tow hitch on back of Heizo and blart it into a rear trailer?  I thought of it using one , years ago . K

Not put a tow hitch on back of Heizo and blart it into a rear trailer?  I thought of it using one , years ago . K

Not as big as our trailer you wouldn't, 30+m3[emoji6]IMG_20200606_090815_432.jpeg

Only works if you have plenty of room to the side and like in this picture with limited room wouldn't have worked with either the trailer or tractor in way

4 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Not as big as our trailer you wouldn't, 30+m3emoji6.pngIMG_20200606_090815_432.jpeg

Only works if you have plenty of room to the side and like in this picture with limited room wouldn't have worked with either the trailer or tractor in way

We were fuel wood chipping in a field and the jiggling around with two tractors was a pain, looked a better plan - two tips a day usually. K

14 hours ago, Gray git said: