Maybe the UK should plant more....

36 minutes ago, Big J said:

Using the example of the eucalyptus plantation I've been mentioning, I'd start strip felling and replanting along the north and east side of the block. The trees are largest here, having been sheltered from the prevailing wind. Conversely, the trees on the western edge are smallest, so these would be the last to be felled. 

I'd spread the felling out over 8 years, allowing 2 years between each operation. Tackle the block in four bites, each time replanting immediately. Each time, moving further west and south. The retained trees would afford the newly planted trees substantial shelter, the brash left on the ground would help surpress weeds to an extent, and canopy closure would be achieved in 18 months. The final strip to be felled would be the western edge (which, from my measurements if about 30-35% less productive). The replanted trees on this edge wouldn't have as much shelter from prevailing winds, but it would only represent a quarter of the plantation and would still be no worse than a new planting. They'd still have the brash on the ground. 

Then, leave for 5-6 years and repeat. Most of the plantation has decent protection from inclement weather through it's growth cycle and production on this site exceeds 50 cubic metres per hectare per year. So each 1/4 removed would be around 600t, with 2500t being the expectation per 12 years.

If you were to completely clearfell, you'd stunt the trees a little in their first couple of years until canopy closure was achieved.

More broadly, looking at other species, there are loads of other reasons for CCF, many of which focus on the composition of the soil. Either way, I don't like clearfells and I try to avoid them now.

How many hectares is the plantation?

30 minutes ago, dumper said:

So what is it worth £40.00 tonne felled 25 standing?

That would be the lowest roadside value, I'd hope. I'm hoping to be able to put it into the firewood market, and some into log. The sawmilling market for eucalyptus in the UK needs development though.

38 minutes ago, Stere said:

Big euc forest in portugal one downside is they really burn well in forest fires.

Not sure that's a risk here - it never stops fecking raining. The primary issue with the plantations there is lack of demand for the product, so they aren't thinned as often as is needed, resulting in a lot of standing deadwood.

13 minutes ago, AHPP said:

How much is planted economically and will end up in the firewood market and how much is being planted for subsidy and will end up as biomass (which I suspect also hurts taxvictims)?

This was a Forest Research block, so not planted for economic reasons, though management has reverted back to the estate that owns the land now it's 10 years old. 

I'd hope a lot of it ends up in the firewood market as the ash won't last long. Also the sawlog market, for fencing, pallets etc.