Maybe the UK should plant more....

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG  
This cold spring might of being what did them in.

Winters in general have being mild last few decades.

Think it was winter 2009 -10 that did them in as it was brutal in this location from people who knew the trees before they lost most of the blocs... 2013 spring didn’t help I imagine!

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I'd forgotten that you were there. I'm working at Ausewell Woods and Hembury Woods after Christmas. 

Have you a lot to do in there ?  removing softwoods I presume ...  I would imagine the NT and WT would be a bit "fussy " to work for ....Is there public access at those woods now ?

Just now, devon TWiG said:

Have you a lot to do in there ?  removing softwoods I presume ...  I would imagine the NT and WT would be a bit "fussy " to work for ....Is there public access at those woods now ?

No public access just yet at Ausewell. A bit more to do in there. I'm low impact working in there, which unfortunately wasn't how last years operations went. Please don't blame me for those 🤣

Some softwood/broadleaf respacing and pine thinning this year. There was supposed to be a couple of hectares of spruce first thinning too but that block was missed from the felling licence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MattyF said:

Went out for a walk in a FC eucalyptus test plantations in keilder forest this afternoon , interesting lines of eucalyptus all named and numbered but mostly just the rotting trunks of semi mature trees present, they looked like they achieved about 30ft then died in most of the blocks but visibly out of a lot I’m guessing only 3 types survived , unfortunately the tags for these survivors have long rotted away so would be hard to ID , I guess E gunnii does not do to well as those lines where all dead ! To be honest it looks like eucalyptus plantations would be a waste of time in the north. IMG_3881.jpgIMG_3880.jpgIMG_3888.jpg
I’m sure there are more but the Sitka is that fast growing I can’t find the last test plots I discovered 4-5 years back ! It also made me think walking back through that aspen, alder and birch are not far off the growth rate of Sitka in some patches and these are what I would choose over eucalyptus , they are far more fitting with our environment and climate.

We have some really rapid growing and happy looking 9 year old Alder here - and similar birch. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...