Bee's in Tree's

Angus

A few days ago I poisoned a bee hive so I could remove the tree.

Started the job yesterday, cut through the hive - definitely all dead. Went up another 20', took out another branch and... I found another hive.

I've never put a flip line around a 4' barrel so fast, and then down climbed with such efficiency.

The bee's chased me for about 400m, I was bitten over 30 times, mostly on the head and chest.

While we were waiting for an exterminator, my body was showing signs of Anaphylaxis. We had an epipen just in case, but we popped into the local doctors who then promptly sent me off to hospital. A shot of adrenaline, quartazone, something else, and 6 hours of observation and I was all good.

I was extremely lucky on a number of fronts.

It was only the day before Dad was telling me not to leave stubs and ivy on a tree, just in case I find some sort of bitey animal and need to get out of the tree quickly. Had I needed to down climb past stubs and ivy, I may have been bitten hundreds of times before reaching the ground.

070120101301.jpg.0f332b88f4715b9831ae556b007399b0.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaylord.

You should have headbutted them all before they got ya!

Seriously bro, lucky escape!

Glad you got down so quick and OK.

I found a nest in a Turkey Oak about 30' up once, got stung once and glazed a prussick coming down (bin).

Nest poisoned, tree felled, and the honey we got out the cavity was gorgeous!

Sad in a way though, 'cos our little black and yellow buddies are keeping our planet alive!:thumbup:

I think SWB has jinxed you!!!

Only the other day he was asking you how you went on for nasty little critters!! and then this happens.

Glad you OK.

Your dad is so right about ivy and pegs, over here people often go on about having a rescue climber on site, but in most cases your fate is in your own hands and a few seconds here and there making sure your line is clear and leaving no pegs, can make all the difference if thinks turn bad.

Bad luck mate...

Do you have no recourse to getting your local beekeeper in.

Here in the uk we have area contacts. Beekeepers have something to gain from collecting a hive as the bees are then theirs to keep. Im no expert I hasten to add. They will collect swarms and take them away for you. Nice people! (worth several hundred pounds more like)

Its not always possible to do anything for the bees on discovering a hive. But there is no legislation that I am aware of that protects them directly ( Only roundabout regs re: chemicals etc I believe in U.K. )

The bees didnt get off so lightly mate...No offence!!

Thanks All! I'm all good now - just got back from a surf.

You should have headbutted them all before they got ya!
Darn it! Why didn't I think of that! :laugh1:

I think SWB has jinxed you!!!

I know SWB didn't, but I was thinking about his question about bitey critters as I sat there pulling out stingers. I almost laughed. :thumbup:

Do you have no recourse to getting your local beekeeper in.
Ironically, we keep bee's ourselves. We've got quite a few bee hives. I just didn't see this hive when I was poisoning the one below it! Unless they swarm, you cannot simply remove them from the tree into a new box, so there wasn't much chance of doing that. The honey generally isn't worth trying to extract because its not in frames (also there is that added risk if you've been poisoning!)

You've been lucky Angus, one bee sting can kill, never mind 30

Did anyone film you running away, that would be a funny vid

Very very lucky... I've been thinking about it a lot. Most times it was taking me three or so attempts to get my flip line around this barrel. It was rough flakey bark, heavy leaning tree. The odds of me getting my fliplines sorted so quickly... A few more seconds and I reckon 30 bites would have been a few hundred. They were really upset.

The video would be very funny. :laugh1: