Timber post needed

Jack.P

If anyone can help I’m after a timber gate made from oak or anything long lasting but not green wood 170x170mm x2M

and to include a full rounded top like the one seen here and a nice straight piece of wood .

Surprisingly hard to get hold off and Did make a few enquires with combines but not had a a reply and would need it for next week .

(Will also pay courier delivery)

Thanks 

6FB9C37D-2E8F-492D-B1D5-AEEF98B5AB0E.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

If anyone can help I’m after a timber gate made from oak or anything long lasting but not green wood 170x170mm x2M

and to include a full rounded top like the one seen here and a nice straight piece of wood .

Surprisingly hard to get hold off and Did make a few enquires with combines but not had a a reply and would need it for next week .

Thanks 

6FB9C37D-2E8F-492D-B1D5-AEEF98B5AB0E.jpeg

Could be a good post (boom boom!) for the Milling Forum but Im sure the guys there will read the General Section as well. :) 

In Oak that would be quite heavy. Just under 50kg maybe?

Thanks 

6FB9C37D-2E8F-492D-B1D5-AEEF98B5AB0E.jpeg.98854a23974673f98b4a272119d9497b.jpeg

Not a problem, I'm in Huddersfield.
Where are you based?
[emoji106]

18 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Not a problem, I'm in Huddersfield.
Where are you based?
emoji106.png

I’m down the other end but parcelforce can only take upto 30kg .it could be slightly shorter 185cm to reduce weight slightly .last load of 2.4 10x20 oak sleeper was less than 30kg so might be ok but doesn’t have to be oak

I’m down the other end but parcelforce can only take upto 30kg .it could be slightly shorter 185cm to reduce weight slightly .last load of 2.4 10x20 oak sleeper was less than 30kg so might be ok but doesn’t have to be oak

Doh. Mines fresh cut.
[emoji849]

13 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Getting a fully dried post of that size may prove tricky as it will have needed 6 maybe 7 years drying.  No sawmill wants to sit on stock for that long.

You might have more luck trying reclamation yards or similar.  And then I suspect you will need to pay a joiner to plane it square and do the curve for you.

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Where is the post going that it needs to be dried and not green? At 7"  Im struggling to think where in a house that would would go? Unless you have a Tudor Manor or a Timber Framed House of course. :D 

Gatepost according to the op. 

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Gatepost according to the op. 

Yes, I did spot that. So why dry only? You'd assume a Gatepost is only something you'd find outside and then will obviously get wet and absorb moisture. So I asked the question if its for inside or outside use. :)