Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

13 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Why's that?

If I have to tell you then it’s truly pointless. 
you took it too far all based and driven by your political views. There has been some good banter and robust debate here but the accusations of  blood on hands etc. Too much for me bud you've got the floor all to yourself. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Why's that?

Because you were rubbishing Cummings, without really knowing much about him at all.

Of course he could be got rid of for his error, but I believe Boris knows he has someone particularly talented on his team, so has decided to let it ride.

From Dominic Cummings' blog dated 4th Mar 2019

DOMINICCUMMINGS.COM

‘Although the institutions of our culture are so amazingly good that they have been able to manage stability in the face of...

2 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Because you were rubbishing Cummings, without really knowing much about him at all.

Of course he could be got rid of for his error, but I believe Boris knows he has someone particularly talented on his team, so has decided to let it ride.

From Dominic Cummings' blog dated 4th Mar 2019

DOMINICCUMMINGS.COM

‘Although the institutions of our culture are so amazingly good that they have been able to manage stability in the face of...

I'm aware of his blogs and views.
That's why I post the things I do.

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I'm aware of his blogs and views.
That's why I post the things I do.

meaning you haven't read much, or any of his blog in any detail, but it gives you a buzz to put him down. His blog is full of ideas - sure you could be selective and quote sections from his blog to make him look bad, but I doubt if there are many other advisors with such a genuine interest in science and technology. There are links right through his blog to many of the most respected academic institutions in the world. The guy is actually spending time learning stuff. Not just spewing out drivel for something to do.

• Like 4

Basically Cummings has seen his arse. He knew his son would be in a terrible situation if he and his wife came down with covid badly so put measures in place. But, he expects the rest of us to abide by his rules or face the consequences of the law.

So his and Boris's message is, fck the rules if you can understand the gravity of the situation you are in, plain and simple. Cant blame anyone now for saying fck it, im doing what I think is best not what others tell me to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

meaning you haven't read much, or any of his blog in any detail, but it gives you a buzz to put him down. His blog is full of ideas - sure you could be selective and quote sections from his blog to make him look bad, but I doubt if there are many other advisors with such a genuine interest in science and technology. There are links right through his blog to many of the most respected academic institutions in the world. The guy is actually spending time learning stuff. Not just spewing out drivel for something to do.

Quote from his blog: 'all people like me can try to do with science is summarise the state of knowledge in good faith '

4 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Basically Cummings has seen his arse. He knew his son would be in a terrible situation if he and his wife came down with covid badly so put measures in place. But, he expects the rest of us to abide by his rules or face the consequences of the law.

So his and Boris's message is, fck the rules if you can understand the gravity of the situation you are in, plain and simple. Cant blame anyone now for saying fck it, im doing what I think is best not what others tell me to do.

I have to agree that Cummings has ruined the idea of people being obedient and as people have said today his actions may have put many lives in danger if it results in people copying him, finding their own ways to justify bending the rules.

However, I still think he is more of an asset than a liability. The fact he wants politics to be steered by science marks him out as a visionary. Most advisors are only about business and economy. I think Cummings tries to bring a lot of different disciplines together for an interesting perspective.

• Like 1

Good luck if there's another peak in this virus... do you think people will give a flying feck?... you can't make the rules then write feck all over them and expect people to run with you.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Quote from his blog: 'all people like me can try to do with science is summarise the state of knowledge in good faith '

and use it to guide policy decisions, which is the bit I like. Of course he will get lots of things wrong, but most people, politicians included just don't spend the time trying to understand the current state of scientific knowledge. Cummings is not going to be the oracle, but he is at least having a good go.