Taking the Biscuit!

AngrySquirrel

So Friend said would shout me a Chain for Helping him out put it on there Bill.

So we was by place in E17 Stihl Stealer So "Genuine" chain! 84 links on 3/8 063 the price?..............................................................£47 i looked at box inside outside sniffed it looked all round in case had dropped out on floor but no where could i see the Saw that should have come with it for that price.

Taking the proverbial urine!

There a not very helpful lot either and say if you asked could you check idle/revs etc (something that most places would just do on the spot type of thing) it's do you want to book it in for a repair Kerching £90 and won't see for 6 months odd.

I support real shops as best can Hate Amazon with Vengence but this is the way they thank you!

Then they wonder why get from likes of Chainsaw bars etc and they had some serious wonga from friend over the years with mowers and weed gear.

• Sad 1

Pretty much what I hear from a lot of customers, I tend to do favours for regular local customers, it is the way it works isn't it?

6 months, that's really bad, three months round here which is a bit of a lifetime as my locals get 2-4 days if parts aren't needed or 2 weeks if by courier, getting stuff back the next day can happen if not too loaded at the time.

Most are shit scared I will dump them if they don't pay PDQ so are pretty prompt - ebb and flow of business, it works well in my books.

• Like 2

Yeh, it pays to shop around, sometimes you have to ask if they can match a price.. some will and some will almost match it, they know it’s a convenience thing..and you want it.. 

my local, wants £7 for a spark plug, I only got done once. ?,  now If I go in and  if they ask if I want a spark plug I just say no thanks I buy them 5 at a time for a tenner..  ? 

I know they got overheads  but but if you take a saw in for a service which they charge a good amount for the service... and then print a fiver on one item The spark plug ? and then a good markup on everything else.. 

another item I needed. Fs55 coil. £75, eBay from a repair place in Dorset £44.. and yes it was oem..

I think stihl should cap the spares prices.. I spoke to them. The coil  cost £25 + vat.

just gives you a idea of the markup what some places make..

• Like 3

I use the Stihl and Husqvarna franchise locally, and have become reasonably friendly with both of the owners.

Neither of them could be described as flashy or loaded, and they both work all hours, with family members on the payroll.

I am aware as anyone that some things are hard to take price wise, but if they were in it for the yachts moored on the Italian riviera, they keep them well hidden.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

And that’s why I said about the stihl bearings in another thread,, one side the Pto, you have to use the stihl bearing. But the other is a standard bearing C3 grade which is £2.50 and free delivery, stihl price  around £10 

It's business mate.
Look at Rupert's overheads.
But yeah, I buy spark plugs elsewhere now[emoji106]

3 hours ago, spudulike said:

Pretty much what I hear from a lot of customers, I tend to do favours for regular local customers, it is the way it works isn't it?

6 months, that's really bad, three months round here which is a bit of a lifetime as my locals get 2-4 days if parts aren't needed or 2 weeks if by courier, getting stuff back the next day can happen if not too loaded at the time.

Most are shit scared I will dump them if they don't pay PDQ so are pretty prompt - ebb and flow of business, it works well in my books.

Most commercials look like avoid them/give a wide berth there tanking up the amateur gardeners with well sir it needs new giggling pins your laughing shaft has too much play in it we can book it in for a service(won't need another one till end of next year as wont have it back so just hope have a spare mower) another friend used them before in there old shop always on the go gardening so mowers worked but you have a time frame with the season he just said bowlicks as took ages mucked his business right up.

Now if your a business esp someone that uses you reg you look after them get there kit back pronto as livelyhood not some odd weekend phut phut round Garden.

but they just have a poor attitude sort of take it or leave it(i'd leave it)

Mind probably still paying fines off for when they got caught dealing in Stolen Mowers etc! "Reputable Stihl Dealers"

With me if someone is good with me il always help them out

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I use the Stihl and Husqvarna franchise locally, and have become reasonably friendly with both of the owners.

Neither of them could be described as flashy or loaded, and they both work all hours, with family members on the payroll.

I am aware as anyone that some things are hard to take price wise, but if they were in it for the yachts moored on the Italian riviera, they keep them well hidden.

I have a guy where get my reel tuning bits and spares plus other fishing kit and always stick up for him as there is a twat that tunes/(fooks Reels) that bad mouths the other places that do  i put work his way as much as can he gives me info on things about many matters in the trade part of the way things go.

But part of dealing with shops etc is the feeling you have had a good deal for if feel like been fooked up the rear end your unlikely to return and tell others

I work at a dealership. Must of taken in 30 machines today. Everybody thinks seams to think it's a quick easy fix, but it's usually not. Not to mention the amount chain sharpening that come in. Must of done about 60 today

I guess a big part of the problem for dealerships that service for the public is the seasonality of business.

Probably no mowers break down in the winter, loads then turn up at the same time when the grass starts to grow and everyone says 'it wouldn't start, could you just have a quick look'.

Spud is better off in a way with mostly tree surgeons because kit used all year.

But you're right, you want to feel as if the dealer will look after you if they can.