Habitat piles seem to be working

spandit

Due to the very generous tree surgeons who have tipped logs here, I've had a surplus and have dumped quite a few in various piles around the place. Was out with the dog last night near one of the piles when she started barking - it's a consistent bark that I recognise so I ran up to see what she'd found... saw these:

20200507_231800.thumb.jpg.4ffd15844c747b0ae7e56ceed047358c.jpg

First time I've seen more than one (and it's only been this year that I've seen any hedgehogs since about 1985). Hoping the slug population will be somewhat curbed later in the year!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Due to the very generous tree surgeons who have tipped logs here, I've had a surplus and have dumped quite a few in various piles around the place. Was out with the dog last night near one of the piles when she started barking - it's a consistent bark that I recognise so I ran up to see what she'd found... saw these:

First time I've seen more than one (and it's only been this year that I've seen any hedgehogs since about 1985). Hoping the slug population will be somewhat curbed later in the year!

Hope the Badgers don't get them .

• Like 6

3 hours ago, spandit said:

Excellent. I shall pay more attention to the log piles I have made over the last few years.

3 hours ago, spandit said:

Brilliant stuff,becoming a rare sight these days?

• Like 1

We had a hedgehog trapped in the netting my wife put up to stop cats from crapping in the veg. I had to cut it free and we put it in a barrel and fed and watered it for a few hours before I let it go in the rough ground over the wall. It was really troughing worms out of the compost bin and dog biscuits, man it could eat. ?

Edited by peatff
  • Like 4

On 08/05/2020 at 12:45, Khriss said:

Marvelous work.. am setting up a hedgehog sanctuary in garden this year. K

Got 3 in ours. Hedgehog house installed and food put out with water every evening. We have a couple who do demolition derby on each other unless we spread the food about well. Tesco Chicken and Rice Kitten biscuits are favourite, it seems.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 08:56, peatff said:

We had a hedgehog trapped in the netting my wife put up to stop cats from crapping in the veg. I had to cut it free and we put it in a barrel and fed and watered it for a few hours before I let it go in the rough ground over the wall. It was really troughing worms out of the compost bin and dog biscuits, man it could eat. ?

I had a similar thing a couple of years back . There was a grass snake trapped it the netting on the raspberry canes over the road . Got him sorted and let go .

• Like 1