Wreck fishing line/braid ,

Stubby

Used to do a bit of wreck fishing years ago .  Thinking of getting back into it .  Got a 50ilb class Ugly Stik and another 30lb class rod . All roller tip . Penn Senator 9/0 and 6/0 and  others .  What braid are people using now a days ?  Thinking 50lb and 30lb .

10 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Used to do a bit of wreck fishing years ago .  Thinking of getting back into it .  Got a 50ilb class Ugly Stik and another 30lb class rod . All roller tip . Penn Senator 9/0 and 6/0 and  others .  What braid are people using now a days ?  Thinking 50lb and 30lb .

Mate uses 50lb Stubby,colour coded for depth measure

• Thanks 1

Been using Berkley whiplash braid for about 25 years now and all ways found it very reliable, but i would not really want to use braid on a rod with a roller tip, i think that would be a problem, go and treat yourself to at least a new rod, there is some very good rods about at the moment that are both light and yet still have plenty of backbone to them,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Been using Berkley whiplash braid for about 25 years now and all ways found it very reliable, but i would not really want to use braid on a rod with a roller tip, i think that would be a problem, go and treat yourself to at least a new rod, there is some very good rods about at the moment that are both light and yet still have plenty of backbone to them,

Thanks for that . Was looking at the new Ugly Stik elite ( supersedes the GX2 ) . This has stainless eyes all through . What would you say the problem would be with braid and rollers ?  Will it jump into the gap ? I thought there were braid specific rollers nowadays ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

I use 50lb braid. Depending where you're fishing, (off Dorset coast, inshore to mid channel and the Channel islands for me) I'd use a lighter rod than that. More fun. 50 lb is a bit of a telegraph pole.

Not that I’ve been for a little while, but when I’m in the channel after cod and pollock, I use Berkley 30lb braid, and a 20/30lb rod. Anything heavier takes all the fun out of the fight! My favourite rod is the Daiwa Kenzaki, although I like the ugly stiks too. Usually couple up with a Shimano TR2000LD and find the whole set up about right. Snagging a wreck with 50lb gear can be a real nightmare to break out of, even with a weaker link at the business end. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Thanks for that . Was looking at the new Ugly Stik elite ( supersedes the GX2 ) . This has stainless eyes all through . What would you say the problem would be with braid and rollers ?  Will it jump into the gap ? I thought there were braid specific rollers nowadays ?

Only ever had 2 rods with rollers on and the one that i used regularly the line (mono at the time as braid had not been invented then) got snagged down the side of the roller as you said above and it cost me a good fish and at the time when this happened like 40 yr ago i had just boated my biggest at 11lb then ten minuets later i am conected to a much better fish and then ting, line stuck down side of roller, totally gutted, the rods you and others have mentioned are all well up to the job, i prefare the 20/30lb rods but some of the lads i fish with are on 12/20lb rods and manage fine with them, plenty of good sport to be had out at sea just get yourself sorted out and get out there,

new phon photos (1) (115).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Only ever had 2 rods with rollers on and the one that i used regularly the line (mono at the time as braid had not been invented then) got snagged down the side of the roller as you said above and it cost me a good fish and at the time when this happened like 40 yr ago i had just boated my biggest at 11lb then ten minuets later i am conected to a much better fish and then ting, line stuck down side of roller, totally gutted, the rods you and others have mentioned are all well up to the job, i prefare the 20/30lb rods but some of the lads i fish with are on 12/20lb rods and manage fine with them, plenty of good sport to be had out at sea just get yourself sorted out and get out there,

new phon photos (1) (115).jpg

Nice fish .  It must be nearly 40 years ago that I went . I was on mono then and never had a problem with it going down the side of the rollers . There was a braid called " Dakron " at the time but I never used it . Our skipper used to give a 2 hoots as we drifted up to the wreck so we could winch up a bit and jig over the top and then 1 hoot as when we were clear to drop down again .  he was watching all the time on the Ferograph .  We would do several pass like that until the tide went slack . Then we would change gear and fish into the wreck for the congers . Then wen the tide started running the other way we would drift it again for the Ling ,Pollack and Cod .

Have been using a combination of 50lb Berkeley whiplash braid, Penn squall multipliers and Fladen Maxximus 10-20lb and 15-35lb solid carbon rods for some time now.

All in a good price range and the Fladen rods have a superb action which will cope with fish well over their line class

Edited by Xiucutil
  • Like 1