Wreck fishing line/braid ,

Stubby

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Ok you sea fishing types . I am very old school and lack confidence in modern braid coz I have never used it before . It just looks toooooo thin ! I understand there is less drag on thin  line . I like to fill the spool on my boat reels as you get the best ratio of retrieve if the spool is full .   just put 300 meters of Berkley Whiplash 100 lbs on a Penn senator 6/0 and the spool is barely half full . Should I put a backing line on first and can you join it with a standard " fisherman's  knot ?  If I wanted to fill the whole reel with whiplash it would cost a hell of a lot . I have 2x 6/0 2x 4/0 and 1 x 9/0 . The 9/0 would cost a fortune .  What do you guys do in this situation ?

What are you after (JAWS) ?

10 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

What are you after (JAWS) ?

No bud . Done a lot of wreck fishing in my early years ( mono fulfillment days ) and the braid just looks tooooo thin !  It was common to get a 15/20 lb cod on the bottom pirk and 2x pollock or ling on the muppets above .  Been out of the game for so long just need to catch up .

30 minutes ago, Stubby said:

No bud . Done a lot of wreck fishing in my early years ( mono fulfillment days ) and the braid just looks tooooo thin !  It was common to get a 15/20 lb cod on the bottom pirk and 2x pollock or ling on the muppets above .  Been out of the game for so long just need to catch up .

Done many a friday night out fishing around the local pubs and ended up with a wreck and most of em stunk like fish pie, All jokes aside great hobby and spent many days down the gower (swansea) on wrecks which have the bigger fish so to speak.

• Like 1

I’m missing getting out on my kayak up at sea Pauling in Norfolk trolling for the bass !. Normally in the water 4.30-5am out by 7 can easily catch a dozen shame I’m not allowed to keep any ?. Got a caravan a couple of miles up the road in happisbrough ( can’t wait to get back to “normal “ ) 

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Ok you sea fishing types . I am very old school and lack confidence in modern braid coz I have never used it before . It just looks toooooo thin ! I understand there is less drag on thin  line . I like to fill the spool on my boat reels as you get the best ratio of retrieve if the spool is full .   just put 300 meters of Berkley Whiplash 100 lbs on a Penn senator 6/0 and the spool is barely half full . Should I put a backing line on first and can you join it with a standard " fisherman's  knot ?  If I wanted to fill the whole reel with whiplash it would cost a hell of a lot . I have 2x 6/0 2x 4/0 and 1 x 9/0 . The 9/0 would cost a fortune .  What do you guys do in this situation ?

Just take it off and put plenty of mono on underneath, but make sure that the mono goes on tight and level, been thinking where i got the 1000 mtr spool of whip lash from, i think it was from Uk hooks on the isle of white, just google it and ring him as he sometimes dosent put every thing on the website,

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2020 at 20:53, Stubby said:

Thanks for that . Was looking at the new Ugly Stik elite ( supersedes the GX2 ) . This has stainless eyes all through . What would you say the problem would be with braid and rollers ?  Will it jump into the gap ? I thought there were braid specific rollers nowadays ?

Depends on quality of roller? but just as easy to remove and replace with a Fuji etc with likes of Alconite inner so braid don't groove it.

Trouble with older rods and braid is lack of suppleness in the tip as they was built for mono which had stretch and braid dosent.

With the advent of braid it turned it all on it's head as cotton thin braid is as strong as tow rope mono so 20/30lb braid cuts through tide so to hold bottom don't need 2lb of lead and the anchor which means don't need towing gear to handle that.

My heavier gear is a Penn Torque 100 which is beach reel size but has boat reel gears and a MTI 20/40lb 8.6 ft rod which top half absorbs lunges and wave movement so not ripping hooks out or bouncing leads on bottom.

Other rod is a CWU 4-10oz uptider which either use for uptiding or down with small shimano lever drag on 20lb braid.

On friends boat were using spinning type gear getting all sorts down Chesil beach mostly drift catching plaice but had bigger.

Will have a load of gear to sell off soon as got some other beach rods coming.

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2020 at 18:51, Stubby said:

Ok . I am interested in the Berkley Whiplash . Can only find 300m spools ( from angling direct ) . Need 500m of 50lb to fill my Penn Senator 9/0 and a bit less of 30lb to fill my 6/0 . . I have treated myself to 3 new rods . All Ugly Stik Elite  rods . 1 x light spinning rod and 1x 30lb class rod and 1x 50lb class rod .  No rollers to be seen , all stainless eyes . They look very thin and light compared to my " old school " roller rods !  Any help appreciated .  

Chinese 8 strand on flea bay is ok does come up a tad thicker than stated but is ok i can give you the best sellers on there if need that we use.

you don't need 500m what you do is wind a load of mono on first to back it up then put braid over that.

Which also stops the braid turning on the spool!

I use the chinese 4 strand for shock leaders on my beach gear 100lb on Multipliers 80lb ish on fixed spools with long rods.

WWW.TOTAL-FISHING-TACKLE.COM

By using ultra thin materials the J-Braid is super soft and smooth, which you will instantly notice when you feel it. The...

i use this and there grand also the new Shimano one which is great but mine are under .30 dia

total tackle have some good deals not massive in sea gear but have some.

Veals VMO many of us use have a good stock and can get deals if ring them esp once set up an account as get discounts.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

STRONG KNOT STRENGTH – dynamically incorporated strands in Dorisea Super Power Braided Lines allow you to...

The higher the strands the smoother the braid but often isn't as robust as lower strand is.

higher strand is rounder also which is what you want really as in the depth/tide flatter/squarer braid can flit around all over the place as flows catches it where as round stays put.

If using heavy braid take a length of soft wood with you(piece of bannister rail is good as rounded)if snagged wrap round it the wind it back till tight to snag then pull if won't come out by winding it as don't use hands or loose fingers or worse arms as some wrap round arm only need boat to move etc and trouble!

What many do is tie in say 20ft of softer mono so like a rubbing leader but also has some give

• Thanks 1