4" gravity fed Vs tw125/160

frogworlduk

Looking for advice on various chippers. I'm basically looking for a smaller chipper that can be easily towed with a larger quad bike. Essentially something like a tw18 or 125/160. The question being as we always leave logs on site and generally just chip tops and brash, am I really going to notice the difference or feel the difference in getting the smaller of the above models. We only do scrub clearance and woodland thinning so getting to site and being easily moveable is more important than chip speed.  I'm used to using the larger 6" timberwolfs but just looking for opinions on these both. 

We rarely use chippers through the year but probably just enough in one year to justify buying an older entec/tw instead of renting one when needed. 

They are aimed at different scenarios, so, as Mark says, not that comparable. Go for something with infeed rollers is probably the answer. If you don't use them that often, why not spot hire when you need something?

I have had a JoBeau M500 for a couple of years, not doing my own jobs full time. My experience with gravity feed is it makes a massive difference what you are chipping. We took down this field maple a couple of weeks ago, all that straight stuff flies through as fast as you can chuck it in - hawthorn on the other hand can be chipped but is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Just thinking woodland tops may be ok but if you're doing scrub clearance then you probably have a lot of hawthorn. I have also used tw150 and tw230 subbing and I would compare feeding hawthorn to a 150 to spooning vegetables in to a baby that's not really hungry, whereas the 230 more like feeding cake to a teenager.

Maybe get gravity feed to keep cost down and then hire in a 230 when the job needs it?PSX_20191223_100033.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, frogworlduk said:

Thanks for the input. Scrub wise it's small pine and birch so nothing major. I will look into the smaller cs100 I didn't realise that it takes the same size as the 18. And for what I'm looking for it may be the easiest option. 

I hired the small timberwolf once. It was useless as it didn't have a spout the threw the chips, more chucking it off to the side