Make The BBC a TV subscription (pay as you go) channel

Baldbloke

It also partly funds ITV channel 4 and S4C.  As well as loads of radio of course and one of the world’s largest websites.

I didn’t realise other channels get a bite of the pie too. Thought it was purely BBCs. It would be good to know the percentages, and be able to pay a sub for what you want rather than what is decided for you.

11 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

You’d need to be able to convince a court you didn’t watch BBC live broadcasts in order to have a telly and not have a licence.

Why's that then?, you are innocent until proven guilty. It would be upto the court to prove you did watch BBC live.

Why's that then?, you are innocent until proven guilty. It would be upto the court to prove you did watch BBC live.

True, but how would you do that as Joe Bloggs against a lawyer whose heard every argument under the sun with hundreds of previous successful convictions? If you contested the charge because you had no licence, you would be taken to court, and it would be down to you to show/prove you didn’t watch what the licence was in place to cover. Otherwise they wouldn’t bother using representatives in court to chase fines of up to £1000.00
You might not be guilty until proven, but the fact is you’d be seen guilty because you had the ability (the telly) to receive live broadcasts.
The only way I’d see you’d get away with it is not to have a telly visible from outside, and to refuse entry to anyone who came enquiring. Then remove the telly for when they came back later with the necessary to enter your property.

15 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

You know I don't like disagreeing with ya bud, but you don't need a tv licence if you don't watch 'live tv', I think the only exception is if you watch i player.

true,we dont have a licence,we have a dispensation letter from the licence authority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

You might not be guilty until proven, but the fact is you’d be seen guilty because you had the ability (the telly) to receive live broadcasts.

Don't talk nonsense, I've/you've got the ability to do lots of things, it doesn't mean we have done it.

16 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

You’d need to be able to convince a court you didn’t watch BBC live broadcasts in order to have a telly and not have a licence.

No, they would have to prove that you had been watching live broadcasts in order to prosecute.

I have a tv, no license, I subscribe to Netflix, watch it rarely, I cannot be prosecuted unless I watch live broadcasts or BBC Iplayer, this is correct and the TV licence guy who got told to f**k off when he knocked agreed.

Edited by The avantgardener