Ranger Adblue Issues?

PeteB

Im told that because it is so caustic, there is no 'float' but a set of three sensors which are double probed and a current passes between the probes. These measure at 33%, 66% and 99% and work with the computer and other sensors! Why on earth they mix Urea with purified water in Holland and ship it in "use once" sturdy plastic drums and then think it is a good idea to squirt it into a hot exhaust is beyond me! Why not make a cleaner engine!

I rang Ford relationship and they confirm that warranty is a 3 years or 60,000 miles on a commercial vehicle but they may have a goodwill fund available for up to 5 years or 100k miles.......

• Like 2

Just now, harvey b davison said:

I'm totally confused by adblue, if it's so critical to use, why don't the petroleum companies just mix it with the fuel at the distillery, or am I missing something.

It is injected into the zorst after combustion .  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harvey b davison said:

I'm totally confused by adblue, if it's so critical to use, why don't the petroleum companies just mix it with the fuel at the distillery, or am I missing something.

Because it would foul up the combustion if it went in the engine. It is injected into the exhaust where it reacts with any nitric oxide to produce nitrogen and water. Oxides of nitrogen are formed when the combustion is hot AND there is spare oxygen in the cylinder, which tends to happen at higher, but not peak, power.

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Because it would foul up the combustion if it went in the engine. It is injected into the exhaust where it reacts with any nitric oxide to produce nitrogen and water. Oxides of nitrogen are formed when the combustion is hot AND there is spare oxygen in the cylinder, which tends to happen at higher, but not peak, power.

How come my adblue pump is running for about 10 to 15 seconds after I switch off the engine? What's that doing??

Edited by dig-dug-dan

20 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

How come my adblue pump is running for about 10 to 15 seconds after I switch off the engine? What's that doing??

Sorry I only know a bit about the theory and I left out the bit @Baldbloke mentioned, it works in conjunction with a catalyst.

My granddaughter has an Audi which needs adblue and only used 20 litres in 5k miles, that said it's proving hard to sell as people shy away from diesels now. My only diesel is the 1.6 fiesta, zero tax and no DPF, if that doesn't see me out it's going to be all electric for me, excepting the bikes.

• Like 2

Im told that because it is so caustic, there is no 'float' but a set of three sensors which are double probed and a current passes between the probes. These measure at 33%, 66% and 99% and work with the computer and other sensors! Why on earth they mix Urea with purified water in Holland and ship it in "use once" sturdy plastic drums and then think it is a good idea to squirt it into a hot exhaust is beyond me! Why not make a cleaner engine!

I rang Ford relationship and they confirm that warranty is a 3 years or 60,000 miles on a commercial vehicle but they may have a goodwill fund available for up to 5 years or 100k miles.......

Ah, sorry about my float comment as that’s the only type I’ve seen in the flesh. Now appreciate there can be optical probes down the depth of the tank too.
  • Like 1