Scored piston 560

Marsh Monkey

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

All Strato engines should be run on either semi or full synthetic.....so....."the green stuff"!! Your hand book should have made that clear.

These machines sniff fuel using much less than their earlier models. Because of this, far less oil is seen on the bearings, bore and all moving parts.

Stihl Red is just not good enough for these modern machines and you aren't the only one!

If you are lucky, a new piston and a bit of work on the bore should see it come back. It would be interesting to see an AT download as it will tell you how the saw fuel was set at the time it failed.

I was invited to Stihl HQ last year with a few from here, and I asked their head technician about the red oil. 

He maintained that any of their oil range was suitable for the new mtronic saws.

Not disagreeing with you, but I found that interesting.  

59 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I was invited to Stihl HQ last year with a few from here, and I asked their head technician about the red oil. 

He maintained that any of their oil range was suitable for the new mtronic saws.

Not disagreeing with you, but I found that interesting.  

I find that very interesting as I have always been told that you need a better specification oil with the AT/Strato machines. Knowing how these machines work and the problems that they can have with bearings and premature piston wear, it seems logical to use the best oil possible.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I find that very interesting as I have always been told that you need a better specification oil with the AT/Strato machines. Knowing how these machines work and the problems that they can have with bearings and premature piston wear, it seems logical to use the best oil possible.

Yes, because they imbibe less air fuel mix so that the first slug out of the transfer port is just air, and hence less fuel:air mix exits the exhaust unburned it follows that less lube passes through the system for a given duty cycle, so I too thought this was the reason for needing a higher quality oil.

I have looked at the Stihl manual for 201tc, pretty sure it doesn't say you have to use synthetic oil. Stihls position seems to be more power, more engine life, cleaner running from the better oil - which is all enough reason to persuade me to use it.

Think maybe Husky require the better oil, haven't got an AT Husky saw but the op's saw is a 560 so that would be manual to check.

Funnily enough my old Dolmar PS-6000 manual says 50:1 if using Dolmar 2 stroke oil, but 25:1 if using any other brand. I do risk it at 50:1 on Stihl Ultra though as the warranty ran out 20 or so years ago.

16 hours ago, spudulike said:

I was sceptical as well. I was told they wouldn't still sell it if it wasn't suitable for their machines, but realistically what makes them money?

38 minutes ago, doobin said:

Can anyone recommend a good synthetic oil that actually colours the mix so you can tell that it's been mixed?

Red Line Racing 2T oil .  I recon its the best . ( I mix it with Aspen4 at a ratio of 50:1 )

3 hours ago, doobin said:

Can anyone recommend a good synthetic oil that actually colours the mix so you can tell that it's been mixed?

Before the days of synthetic oils I changed from the blue Husqvarna oil to the red Stihl oil  just because I could see the pink mix more easily.

Now I have trouble seeing the Stihl ultra green and would move to a red synthetic too.

• Like 1