fig 8 drawbacks

bob

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can just see the HSE enforcement officer serving an improvement notice on those nice men from Hereford. :001_rolleyes:

I can see it now

HSE bloke; You really shouldnt be doing it like that

SAS trooper; BANG! sorry fella, forgot the safety, what was you saying about health and safety? oh dear!

Why do you have to back up a figure of eight :confused1:

They've been used since the stone age with no back up :confused1:

prime example of someone needing an update:blushing:

must be a long long long time since you had training in using an 8:confused1:

as another point armed forces are excempt from working at height regs

speaking from a background in cliff work i would reccomend a shunt , its simple and compact , it can be used for both double and single line decents but rope size would be an issue , as for how to set it up if you look in the instruction leflet that comes with a shunt it shows you , but when im next near my rock gear i will set it up and take a couple pics (the old groundy wont get them either bob) lol

beware decending on a single line on a shunt

as you say rope size is an issue as 11mm max

tbh if you start using bigger ropes then you will find it quite hard to get a mechanicle aid to back up a fig 8 , when i use mine on marlow rope if i need to back it up i will use a distel (on the running line ) or even a blake hitch would do the job also if you are using bigger ropes then i would ger a fig 8 with the side wings because it has been known for the rope to flip over the fig 8 leaving you with a larks head hitch that you can not do much about lol

Why do you have to back up a figure of eight :confused1:

They've been used since the stone age with no back up :confused1:

for use in a ppe situation (not fun on a rock face etc) so at work

it is a legal requirment.

simple, no if's no but's no maybe's its simple the law says for inductral purposes must have fail to safe

kev

ps so does best practise

??

what you whant chapter and verse??

ps as for the SAS and others of HM forces they are specifically exempt from most hse legislation during times of war or specific practice in preperation for such deplyment BUT only operational

ie sas forget the fig 8 oftern do rapid deployment with gloves n leather sleve as do marines what back up!!!

but look at the storage of fule on a base and wow you whant to see legal conformaty.

frankly in reation to bobs erlier question i use an ID or backed up 8

PS BOB hows the jet boil???

ended up buying one my self

what a great bit of kit!!!

kev