Reflections and Ideas

woodplans

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get my new business off the ground and up and running properly is my goal, Get my 3.5 ton truck early in the new year and hopefully it will take off abit, Im not expecting it to happen over night but hard graft and patience and im sure ill get there :thumbup:

Mozza, Good luck with the new venture mate, hard graft and a positive attitude will get you a long way.

Tree man Tom, go travel for a while, you really are only free to do this when your young, serious work can wait a year. You will gain plenty of experience along the way that will pay dividends in the long run. I never went to college but worked my way round the world for over 10 years, taught me more than i could ever wish to learn.

The main factor that has been highlighted this year for me is efficiency, with prices being so tight, running lean and efficient is the only way to make money.

I hope that next year we can work even better, less hours on the job for equal money means more free time to enjoy the things we all work for.

:thumbup1:

Efficiency is the way forward. No-one wants to reduce there prices so we have to be more productive in a competative market.

I always feel much more relaxed over xmas when I have a few weeks off and tell myself I wouldn't get stressed out and do paper work till late next year but I always will.

The one thing I learned this year is to have faith that work will come in. If your used to a 6 week order book and your down to 1 week the temptation is to reduce rates to win work. Hold firm, execpt that there is less work around but there still seems to be enough to get by. Don't cut your rates so you can seek comform in having lots of work.

Efficiency is the way forward. No-one wants to reduce there prices so we have to be more productive in a competative market.

I always feel much more relaxed over xmas when I have a few weeks off and tell myself I wouldn't get stressed out and do paper work till late next year but I always will.

The one thing I learned this year is to have faith that work will come in. If your used to a 6 week order book and your down to 1 week the temptation is to reduce rates to win work. Hold firm, execpt that there is less work around but there still seems to be enough to get by. Don't cut your rates so you can seek comform in having lots of work.

sound advice I reckon, we will only do ourselves down if we was to go the "budget route" come out the other end and find a market that expects cheap!

I know from a period of some employment a while ago, that a reduction in prices to generate jobs and increase a customer base does NOT work.

Also, things go wrong more often on a leanly priced job. Usually due to short cuts in the operations.

I wish everyone the very best in business for '10.

how is the lorry doing Andy, have you managed to make use out of it yet??

The forecast problems re: Ag licence proved true, as its a 2-seater, so it may be getting a few "mods" to help it. Managed to get a temporary licence to run as Ag on very limited mileage. Found it needed quite a bit of welding here and there, which is being done as and when the chap has 5mins to spare. patience is a virtue.......:001_rolleyes: Oh it now has a set of aggressive tires for off-road work, so its an on-going project at the mo.:001_smile: