Has the world changed?

Old Mill Tree Care

5 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I've always done landscaping since I was young used to work with my grandad so landscaping has always been the one other jobs have paid bills the tyre fitter me and the boss didn't see eye to eye he called me a retard for being dyslexic and I give hom the hiden of his life and I got myself a p45 in the post then the pipe lining was a really bad wage got offered more money as a groundworker for less hours so done that and still do it now and again you need to have more than one trade behind you just incase shit hits the fan 

Jack 

But you dropped out of School, you dropped out of an apprenticeship and you've not stuck a job since. You dont seem to have a single trade or qualification to fall back on?  Fitting tyres is not a trade, neither is rodding drains. Maybe consider getting a few qualifications under your belt, you're still young enough to make it worthwhile. You dont wanna be doing what your doing later in life, your back will thank you. :D 

I also dropped outta school. Bloody hated it and cleaned windows with my mates. :D But I managed (somehow) to stick it out and got my Car Mechanics Apprenticeship under my belt. But then there was no work so I did another 4 years on a second apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering. Thats a lot of years on crap wages, but paid off in the end. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

But you dropped out of School, you dropped out of an apprenticeship and you've not stuck a job since. You dont seem to have a single trade or qualification to fall back on?  Fitting tyres is not a trade, neither is rodding drains. Maybe consider getting a few qualifications under your belt, you're still young enough to make it worthwhile. You dont wanna be doing what your doing later in life, your back will thank you. :D 

I also dropped outta school. Bloody hated it and cleaned windows with my mates. :D But I managed (somehow) to stick it out and got my Car Mechanics Apprenticeship under my belt. But then there was no work so I did another 4 years on a second apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering. Thats a lot of years on crap wages, but paid off in the end. 

Drainage engineer isn't a skilled trade?, how many folk do you know that can code up a survey to the spec required by banks and building societies, or insurance companies in respect to subsidence issuses, not as simple as you may think. Lining is a skilled job, get it wrong and the road is going to have be opened up. More tickets required than a lot of trades. Roding drains is a very small part of it, we have machines to do that job these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

I think as always,the better staff are already occupied.

I have struggled this year to find a helper,my turnover is about half of last years as a result.The audacity of some of the applicants is frankly staggering,I include a flat with bills included in the deal,one guy was willing to come over,maybe if I bought him a campervan for him to travel about in on his off days!

You couldn't make it up.

53 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Drainage engineer isn't a skilled trade?, how many folk do you know that can code up a survey to the spec required by banks and building societies, or insurance companies in respect to subsidence issuses, not as simple as you may think. Lining is a skilled job, get it wrong and the road is going to have be opened up. More tickets required than a lot of trades. Roding drains is a very small part of it, we have machines to do that job these days.

Never done many surveys maybe 3 1 of which was first milk in Stranraer that was a good learning experience travelled up and down the country putting drag through liners in the hardest part for me was figuring out how to cut radial patches for the rest bends but apart from that it was a really good job just everyday you came home full of ? it was a good laugh though done my confined spaces and everything through that company I'd of stayed if the wages were better but at the time I was 18 and down as a apprentice so was only getting about £4.54 a hour so got offered more money groundworking.

AS for qualifications I learned more out of school than what I did whilst I was there I'm a city and guilds level 2 qualified mechanic passed all my H&S in landscaping got my cscs card with additional H&S for operatives confined space working and a couple extras I can't remeber ?

Jack 

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Only you could suggest an actual trade then argue with yourself regarding whether its a trade or not. 

13 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

AS for qualifications I learned more out of school than what I did whilst I was there I'm a city and guilds level 2 qualified mechanic passed all my H&S in landscaping got my cscs card with additional H&S for operatives confined space working and a couple extras I can't remeber

Hey, if you're happy thats all that matters. :) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Well thats all thats even gonna happen if you count day/week courses as qualifications. 

Does it make any difference? I had never been asked to produce a cert in 62 years until the other day and that was just a glance. You can either do your job or you cant.

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2