1 Cubic metre split log price.

Paul Tomo

Who was it who said that logs are selling the unprofitable to
the ungrateful?

Whoever it was, they were right. 

Totally agree, this is one of the main reasons why we decided to bite the bullet and invest in an expensive biomass burning system, I’d rather spend the time and effort and financial outlay on producing heat for ourselves than quibbling with people on how expensive logs where, I’m sure people think there’s very little effort and expense in the process ,the 15k for the processing kit the 20k for the second hand loadall the packaging for the logs to conform with trading standards so the disgruntled customer knows what they’re getting and not just a pile of whatever dumped on they’re drive, the cost of the large steel framed log store, then explain the logs need manpower to be processed and transport and time to deliver! They’d not believe you.

One other issue to add to it is there’s an awful lot of people out there banging out logwood for beer money, the wood often doesn’t have the extra production cost of storage and drying time, ours does because we have to prove that the wood that we produce is to the BSL standard before it goes in to our system. It’s a very similar issue to tree work companies not investing in training, insurance, kit and compliance and others that do.
  • Like 1

Depends what you paid for the timber .I'm charging £125 for 1.2 cubic meter ibc cage full this year .its all barn dried mixture of oak ash beach and birch .when stock has sold i'm buying it in from hopefully uk based companies who do kiln dry uk hardwood in bulk . if not ill be inporting .not enough profit in it after doing all the work might as well buy it all in if poss and just sell sell sell !

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/09/2019 at 16:33, Paul Tomo said:

80C9026A-4E9D-4508-AADA-A91FB2373F92.jpeg

That's a beast of a trailer ?. If I were you I'd get some builders bags, put 1 in the trailer then fill it up, youd prob fit another bag in the back of the connect too. You could then post in the overloaded thread too ??. I checked my local supplier the other day, they are advertising 90x90x90 bag of oak for £150! Kiln dried right enough.

On 05/10/2019 at 07:05, Big J said:

It's funny and depressing at the same time. It's like offering someone 10 apples for £1.50 or 2 apples for £0.50 and them opting to take the 2 apple offer. Basic arithmetic is lost on most people.

So true. I sell less logs now than when I set up in tree work in 2001. Much happier to run my two stoves and log burning boiler for our own heating. I have a few longstanding log customers who order well ahead and will wait if need be.

New customers asking "how much is a ton of logs?" just don't get the idea when I explain I sell by volume. When they say they can't imagine what a cubic metre of logs looks like, I wonder how they know what a ton of logs looks like.

Aha, light bulb moment .... all the new owners of stoves (logburners as they love to call them) have read the Bear Grills manual on heating with logs, and have their own weighbridge built into the drive of their suburban semi.

OK, rant over.

• Like 1