Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

monkey, have you tried slamming the back end of an axe against the cambium as a wounding method? the "crush" as apposed to a chop or slice, and if so what was the result?

have read of people doing it, but my stake holders would string me up if I got caught being that brutal to their beloved trees :001_tongue:

I've not actually carried out any axe work on pollards, have just observed.

I would say the Ash is a coppard.

You little tease, I just googled that :blushing:

It does look a bit short though, as do the Hornbeam. They're not one-offs though, there are a few so they must have been done deliberately and the tree must have been a fair size when cut.

i can see this going to bits if I aint carefull!

you can except that which is told to you, or you can through your life investigate and question, to find your own, ideas and thoughts and or beliefs.

That is all i am doing, i have another point of view to that of darwins, for the first time since evolution was thought of, dont you find the concept worthy of a deeper look?

or are you happy to just swallow what is a 150 year old thoery? what, without question? that was for skyhuck BTW

Amazing trees MonkeyD, the beeches are phenominal! We have some near us on a reserve that are quite breathtaking, you can feel there presence.

This thread is so interesting. I have pollarded trees, but usually back to old 'knobs', 'knuckles' and they seem fine, one being a vet lime. I also pollard a row of 40 lime trees every so often and they look great. There was a fatality on a huge poplar though, a case of too much too soon? Saying that it had started to re-shoot, after another check the shoots had died and i noticed that someone had cut about a 1/4 the way through the base, i'm thinking whoever did it lives close and poisoned it to.:thumbdown:

o.k, a tree gets old, its self compaction of the soil, age etc have lead to a dysfunctional (though not nesceseraly decayed core) over the years water and debris have entered nooks and crannies, roots have formed in included bark regions and the tree starts to lose these structural defective limbs, the laten propugules within th ewood go mental, decay the exposed wood, the tree roots into it, gets a boost, throws more root down hits the ground and hey presto, new young tissues connected with a soil matrix that is well out of reach of a now well traveld root system. second chances.

you can except that which is told to you, or you can through your life investigate and question, to find your own, ideas and thoughts and or beliefs.

That is all i am doing, i have another point of view to that of darwins, for the first time since evolution was thought of, dont you find the concept worthy of a deeper look?

or are you happy to just swallow what is a 150 year old thoery? what, without question? that was for skyhuck BTW

I "swallow" nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a devout Christan up to the age of 30, before doing a great deal of research and finding it all a load of tosh, but if your dad brings you up to think its fact its easy to take it in, so I am very careful about what I believe :001_smile:

In my comments I have give examples of evolution which make sense, you have on each occasion ignored them or failed to come up with a good argument to say they are wrong.

I don't see how the fact that Darwin's theory is 150 years old has any bearing:confused1: if it was right then, it still is.

On your other thread you asked for input and when I did, with reference to the moths, you quit.

Edited by skyhuck

I think we have moved on a little from a purely Darwinistic view- I suspect Skyhuck has too?

Without being disrespectful, and I have to be careful as an amateur on a professionals site, but aren't you just proposing that trees that snap off 6 feet off the ground might re-grow ?

I'm not seeing anything new that would challenge Darwin here.

The Beech picture if you go for a walk at Windsor with Ted he will show you Beech that have hollowed out and he has watched them totally heal and as he said they will live forever. If you go to Staverton you will see Hawthorn Silver birch and Holly walking as a tree grows old and rots it falls over takes root and grows live forever?

Here i have man made pollards and natures pollards i will have to get my camera out tomoz i think.

I have two large old oaks as your picture large limb drop full of brown rot one has now got a Field maple growing out of it and that is at least 50 years old:thumbup1:

Today i went to deliver a christmas card to a lady whos husband died this year of cancer and i had to go and look at an oak tree in the garden he pollarded four years ago wonderful.