Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

The will to survive, a great one to be watching. if she doesnt lose too much in a failure this one could go on and on and on, maybe we should help?

[ATTACH]26180[/ATTACH][ATTACH]26181[/ATTACH][ATTACH]26182[/ATTACH]

applanatums then, :001_smile:

Did you catch the link to AO's nipple gall shots at Wab?

They're amazing :001_cool:

I thought the relevance of it in terms of seeing evolution from the point of view of the gene rather than the organism may add something to the development of his ideas. I understand from what he has said it is still very much a thought in process.

I thought the relevance of it in terms of seeing evolution from the point of view of the gene rather than the organism may add something to the development of his ideas. I understand from what he has said it is still very much a thought in process.

Very true, but if I understand him correctly he feel most life is selfless and happy to work in cooperation with other life for mutual benefit.

If I understand the selfish gene theory correctly that suggests that even the seemingly most selfless act is done with motivation of gain for the one performing the act.

''If I understand the selfish gene theory correctly that suggests that even the seemingly most selfless act is done with motivation of gain for the one performing the act.''

More that evolution is selection of genes, and only genes, rather than the resultant characteristics (phenotype). The point I felt was relevant is that this is in terms of genes, rather than the 'act' of an individual- plant or animal. So perpetuation of an individual resulting in more offspring, therefore more copies of each of the genes passed on.

Hamadryad said

''Imortality in trees has distinct advantages, How many offspring could YOU produce? victorians managed about 14 before it kiled them in childbirth!''

I felt the relevance here is looking in terms of the advantage of longer life on a gene basis rather than individual/species basis.

Am I making any sense at all?! I fear not!

Also the later book 'The Extended Phenotype' may be of interest, also recent research by Jablonka (sp?!) and similar.

I'm not saying I agree with all of this- just that Hamadryad may find it brings a few interesting ideas into the equation.

Can anyone enlighten me about my earlier questions?

How old are trees usually (as a minimum) before they can be pollarded? How does pollarding relate to coppicing in terms of suitable tree species and also habitat offered for fungi/beetles etc? As well as eventual timber output?