Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

2 hours ago, EricBradley said:

A plate will do nothing to overcome the movement, the gap between the slot in the bar and the studs is so big I could drive a bus through without my glasses on.

Totally agree. Try taking the saw to a dealer and try a stihl bar on it.

Edited by outonalimb
spelling

Totally agree. Try taking the saw to a dealer and trying a stihl bar on it.
Sadly have no local Stihl dealer within a few hours drive. If this issue doesn't sort itself, I'll sit it on a shelf and try a Stihl bar down the line. Unusual for a brand name bar to be incorrect though [emoji848]

Bar number from 1st post shows as being the right one for a MS260 so assume the 024 is the same and therefore correct, def try the spacer
Indeed, ordered the bar and chain from a website (can't remember the name off my head) which required you to select your saw so it should definitely be correct. Have a inner plate ordered so hopefully that'll allow the cover to clamp down properly and hold the bar, will update when it arrives. Appreciate the help

The studs are not supposed to be a real tight fit, you should lift the bar when tightening nuts and that clamps it tight to stop movement.

I notice the gauge is .050 whereas I think .063 would be normal, but that shouldn't be a problem. If you hadn't changed the studs I would say check the threads, I have seen damage that stops the nut going down before it gets properly tight against the cover. As you have changed the studs I would ask if they are definitely right and fitted correctly, and aren't stopping the cover closing

• Like 1

The studs are not supposed to be a real tight fit, you should lift the bar when tightening nuts and that clamps it tight to stop movement.

I notice the gauge is .050 whereas I think .063 would be normal, but that shouldn't be a problem. If you hadn't changed the studs I would say check the threads, I have seen damage that stops the nut going down before it gets properly tight against the cover. As you have changed the studs I would ask if they are definitely right and fitted correctly, and aren't stopping the cover closing

Cover does sit down perfectly flush around the edges with no gaps. Also have used 3 covers and two sets of studs so I think I can rule them two options out..
It's baffling me