Jump to content
WesD

Birds/Nests

Recommended Posts

Counting our blessings as it seems to be a good year for the birds here. Loads of blue tit's, sparrows, robins also quite a few goldfinches, coal tits and blackbirds. Not seen a song thrush yet this year and we used to have plenty of them. Only a few swallows so far but maybe some more will come up next time we get a southerly. Cant be easy flying up from Africa with the number of northerly blasts we have had this spring. The usual selection of corvids as well. Liz saw our first ever red kite last week to join our bountiful amount of buzzards.

 

We do get large swings in populations. A few years back the place was overrun with sparrows and blackbirds but hardly a blue tit to be seen. Nice mix this year

 

Edit. Forgot to mention a thriving population of wagtails one of which is driving us mad. It attacks it's reflection anywhere it sees it. Smacking against our windows, bashing on the truck's mirrors and burying them is shite and quite often whacking itself against the stainless flue on the roof. Had this little blighter for several years now or it's kids do the same

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have put up over 300 small bird boxes by now- lil buggers better use them ! K

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Treerover said:

Whilst I’m not disagreeing with the point you’re making, I live on an estate that has had corvid control for decades and I’ll even pop off the odd magpie in the garden if they come in, so as much as I’d like to agree with you, I’m afraid the TEMPORARY rescinding of the General licences late April will of course not have affected bird nesting numbers . 

I think it will as there is no licences that are fit for purpose sorted out yet and how long this will take is ? how long is a piece of string ? you only have to go back to 2001 foot and mouth no shooting for 8 months and crows,pigeons and magpies just seem to explode in numbers round us, but the numbers of blackbirds,thrushes and song birds where dramatically down and that was just one breeding season,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

I think it will as there is no licences that are fit for purpose sorted out yet and how long this will take is ? how long is a piece of string ? you only have to go back to 2001 foot and mouth no shooting for 8 months and crows,pigeons and magpies just seem to explode in numbers round us, but the numbers of blackbirds,thrushes and song birds where dramatically down and that was just one breeding season,

But you can now control crows if you are a farmer with livestock likely to be affected under the first of the new re-released general licences .

The forms to apply for a more in-depth licence to control all the other species are on line now and DEFRA are now in the middle of the consultation period before releasing the rest of the general licences. I have faith that everything will be close to how it was before Wild Justice flooked the court victory, which, by their own admission, surprised even them.

Apparently this whole debacle could have been avoided if MAFF and Natural England hadn’t lost a vital set of documents when MAFF handed over to NE. Unbelievable 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Counting our blessings as it seems to be a good year for the birds here. Loads of blue tit's, sparrows, robins also quite a few goldfinches, coal tits and blackbirds. Not seen a song thrush yet this year and we used to have plenty of them. Only a few swallows so far but maybe some more will come up next time we get a southerly. Cant be easy flying up from Africa with the number of northerly blasts we have had this spring. The usual selection of corvids as well. Liz saw our first ever red kite last week to join our bountiful amount of buzzards.

 

We do get large swings in populations. A few years back the place was overrun with sparrows and blackbirds but hardly a blue tit to be seen. Nice mix this year

 

Edit. Forgot to mention a thriving population of wagtails one of which is driving us mad. It attacks it's reflection anywhere it sees it. Smacking against our windows, bashing on the truck's mirrors and burying them is shite and quite often whacking itself against the stainless flue on the roof. Had this little blighter for several years now or it's kids do the same

We have those in abundance, but it is the nesting or lack of it that’s being raised and is unusual . We are yet though to have a flue pecking Wagtail but I reckon you can keep that one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Treerover said:

But you can now control crows if you are a farmer with livestock likely to be affected under the first of the new re-released general licences .

The forms to apply for a more in-depth licence to control all the other species are on line now and DEFRA are now in the middle of the consultation period before releasing the rest of the general licences. I have faith that everything will be close to how it was before Wild Justice flooked the court victory, which, by their own admission, surprised even them.

Apparently this whole debacle could have been avoided if MAFF and Natural England hadn’t lost a vital set of documents when MAFF handed over to NE. Unbelievable 🙄

if your a farmer, apply for a more in depth licence ,, NON are of any use to any one and its costing thousands in lost revenue at the moment, 36 acre of wheat been stripped out just down road from me at what expense to the guy who owns it ? he hasent time to go cant put gas guns on as every one moans about them starting at 6am and as it reads,it has to be the land owner and who is doing the controlling, the licencing will be a lot different than it was 4 wks ago and when it will get sorted is any ones guess could be weeks or even months yet ? and this issue will break some small farmers as some are counting the cost all ready,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
if your a farmer, apply for a more in depth licence ,, NON are of any use to any one and its costing thousands in lost revenue at the moment, 36 acre of wheat been stripped out just down road from me at what expense to the guy who owns it ? he hasent time to go cant put gas guns on as every one moans about them starting at 6am and as it reads,it has to be the land owner and who is doing the controlling, the licencing will be a lot different than it was 4 wks ago and when it will get sorted is any ones guess could be weeks or even months yet ? and this issue will break some small farmers as some are counting the cost all ready,,


36 acres lost to pigeons in 14 days ????
That’s 2.57 acres a day !!!!!
You lot must rely on a hell of a lot of pigeon shooting to protect your crops round your way !!!
And all the wheats pretty high so that’s baffling !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Treerover said:

 


36 acres lost to pigeons in 14 days ????
That’s 2.57 acres a day !!!!!
You lot must rely on a hell of a lot of pigeon shooting to protect your crops round your way !!!
And all the wheats pretty high so that’s baffling !!

I was thinking the same . If it were peas maybe ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all spring barley and winter sown rape on the chalk here .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was thinking the same . If it were peas maybe ....

Hmmmm me too. The rest is normally ok until the wheat ripens isn’t it . Unless you’re on Spring rape perhaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.