Hitch lock for TW160

Mark Bolam

This is a bloody nightmare.

No one can offer a single lock that will lock this p.o.s. coupling onto a 50mm ball.

Basically I’ve got a £13k+ investment protected by a titchy little brass barrel lock that costs under a fiver.

Any self respecting pikey could have it away in about 5 seconds with a claw hammer.

It’s safe in the workshop, but it’s out and about I’m worried about.

The wheel clamps tend to impede things a bit.

No one seems to offer a Bradley double block style coupling that will fit a beefy 67.5mm dia shaft with fixing holes at 92.5mm centres.

@Timberwolf Official what can you suggest?

I fully appreciate the Alko coupling is fitted with cost/weight in mind rather than performance.

Chains are a pita out and about, although I have them in the workshop, amongst other things.

B6EA8F4C-15A4-4EED-A50F-D9293145F451.jpeg

This is a bloody nightmare.
No one can offer a single lock that will lock this p.o.s. coupling onto a 50mm ball.
Basically I’ve got a £13k+ investment protected by a titchy little brass barrel lock that costs under a fiver.
Any self respecting pikey could have it away in about 5 seconds with a claw hammer.
It’s safe in the workshop, but it’s out and about I’m worried about.
The wheel clamps tend to impede things a bit.
No one seems to offer a Bradley double block style coupling that will fit a beefy 67.5mm dia shaft with fixing holes at 92.5mm centres.
[mention=26812]Timberwolf Official[/mention] what can you suggest?
I fully appreciate the Alko coupling is fitted with cost/weight in mind rather than performance.
Chains are a pita out and about, although I have them in the workshop, amongst other things.

B6EA8F4C-15A4-4EED-A50F-D9293145F451.thumb.jpeg.dc40b7212826798cbb11561b71b23add.jpeg

My dad used to have a ball type lock that sat up inside the hitch, only way to get it out would be to burn it out or use its dedicated key. Failing that you’d have to remove the complete head and fit another to get away with it. Some thing like this it was....
IMG_3191.jpg
But was a different type of winding key, not just a standard allen key.

Is it a hollow shaft on the drawbar that it bolts to Mark? Could you take that hitch off and fit a new shaft inside bolted in place with the bolts that currently hold the hitch on? Then get a beefier towing head to fit to your slightly extended but smaller outside diameter tube if that makes sense (or get an adapter piece turned to step the size up/down)? 

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:44, monkeybusiness said:

Is it a hollow shaft on the drawbar that it bolts to Mark? Could you take that hitch off and fit a new shaft inside bolted in place with the bolts that currently hold the hitch on? Then get a beefier towing head to fit to your slightly extended but smaller outside diameter tube if that makes sense (or get an adapter piece turned to step the size up/down)? 

I've looked at that mate.

Certainly doable, but a right fanny-on, and would increase the length of the shaft more than I'd want to.

Ratman, I need something that locks the machine onto the truck.

Locking the coupling on it's own is pointless, one ratchet strap and it's away.

The response from @Timberwolf Official on this has been about as good as the response from Husqvarna as to the availability of the 550 mk2 XPG.

• Like 1

I do think manufactures need to start taking machine security a bit better, I don't mean going all hitec with iris recognition etc but simple steps like quality locking hitches that actually work and simple measures to at least make it harder to simply walk off with it.

• Like 4

I mentioned this to Forst when we were running them but it didn't go far, I honestly believe it will be a good selling point in future and manufactures can make the most of it by getting with it!

Not a big issue with a 3t Bandit but with the smaller machines especially those under 750k its a big thing, thousands are spent on R&D to make the "best" chipper from each manufacturer but yet they put a hitch on for £4.99 that might as well be made of cheese!

• Like 2