Emissions, Global warming or a scam

Echo

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

That is a very interesting article.  As always it shows the true answer to reducing man made climate change is not simple.  Just the same with palm oil - some of it is grown in a sustainable way - it doesn’t have to cause deforestation.  It is all about local appropriate management of methods and outcomes.  

The developed world should certainly reduce meat consumption, but not necessarily by becoming vegan.

Nothing ever is simple is it. I always had a gut feeling that there was something screwy with the methane figures but gut feelings dont cary much weight. Nice to see a decent explanation at last.

When the numbers are in on UK grass fed beef and lamb as apposed to US soya fed stock I suspect the carbon from feed figure will drop substantially more. Might even find it's not such a bad idea eating a bit of red meat after all.

Edited by Woodworks

I was watching a thing about a project in Africa, where they are restoring grassland. They discovered the problem was too few cows. The biosphere in their neck o the kids requires a certain concentration of roaming rumenants to survive. Without the cows, the grass doesn't get cropped, and dies standing in the winter, whereapon it chemically decomposes as opposed to biologically deconpises, which robs the soul of nutrients. The cows hoofs also break up the crust, which allows rain to penetrate and pool. Without the crust disruption, the rainfall runs off as is wasted. I'll try and find it again...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I was watching a thing about a project in Africa, where they are restoring grassland. They discovered the problem was too few cows. The biosphere in their neck o the kids requires a certain concentration of roaming rumenants to survive. Without the cows, the grass doesn't get cropped, and dies standing in the winter, whereapon it chemically decomposes as opposed to biologically deconpises, which robs the soul of nutrients. The cows hoofs also break up the crust, which allows rain to penetrate and pool. Without the crust disruption, the rainfall runs off as is wasted. I'll try and find it again...

Was it this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

In fact the studies showed that such grasslands if grazed in the right way act as a bigger carbon sink than all the worlds rainforests combined.  But this is a whole different business from most modern animal farming.  In fact this beneficial grazing requires no added food or water.  Here in the UK cows need 160 litres of water per day from troughs, and haylage etc by the ton.

Edited by Squaredy

55 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

In fact the studies showed that such grasslands if grazed in the right way act as a bigger carbon sink than all the worlds rainforests combined.  But this is a whole different business from most modern animal farming.  In fact this beneficial grazing requires no added food or water.  Here in the UK cows need 160 litres of water per day from troughs and haylage etc by the ton.

True. But then we do have lots of water.

35 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

True. But then we do have lots of water.

Well not all the UK.  I seem to remember watching a program years ago which said that many English rivers were way too low mainly due to abstraction for farms.  

Probably not a problem here in Wales or Scotland I would guess.

• 3 weeks later...