Emissions, Global warming or a scam

Echo

Does anyone want to talk about this Global warming thing.

I seem to have started a debate about emissions in another post

where all I wanted to know was peoples opinions on two saws, an AT and

an MT model that lead to a remove cat debate that lead to an emissions and testing

our saws derail.

In short, is global warming real, who cares, are the current clampdowns working, 

or is it all a money making racket.

Edited by Echo

We pay a carbon tax, but for what.

I think its the wrong approach, carbon tax can only work if it stops

us producing, but how can we achieve this.

For ordinary people, the school run, the run to work, the shopping run,

are all necessary, a carbon tax wont stop us doing these necessary tasks.

Take the shopping scenario, the trucks that haul the food to the stores need to do this, there is no way for us to get food without it being hauled to the shops first, so why tax us for something that we can not do without, who gains here, the collector of the tax, the tax its self does not prevent this lory polluting, or global warming, so why do we pay it.

Would it not be better to let us keep our money, and invest that money in a more

environmental means of transport.

Edited by Echo

Are business such as manufacturers paying a carbon tax, did anyone ever hear of such.

We all hear of carbon taxes, so who is actually paying them, are individuals paying this tax while big business corporations and industrialists are not.

Edited by Echo

Hundreds, perhaps thousands of climate scientist from all over the world are saying global warming is indeed real, and a real threat. I don't think any of us here are in a position to argue with that.

What we can actually do about it, as consumers, is another matter. In order to bring things under control carbon taxes on individuals will just make us poorer. I'm not sure how they work but you have the right of it, they'd need to be on big business in order to encourage change. What it will probably take us a dramatic shift in how we live and lead our lives. So what we really need is a global change in behaviour. 

How does that come about? I've not a clue. But my guess is it won't happen until the current generation of people in power are out of the picture. 

edit: smart phone, turning global warming into clonal warning...?

Edited by Mr. Squirrel
  • Like 1

Hi Mr. Squirrel

I agree, global warming is real, and it needs to be tackled.

What I don't agree with is my understanding of the current approach.

We currently pay carbon tax on coal, and oil, but this does not stop us burning it,

so in effect it is a useless in regard to helping the global warming problem, but it is very useful to the powers that be who take that money out of our pocket.

Some say the tax is to make us cut back on our use of such fuels, but I honestly do not know anyone who drives around burning fuel just for the fun of it, nor do I know anyone who lights a coal fire for fun, its for heat, so these two uses of fossil fuel are not likely to be cut back on due to any amount of tax.

• Like 2

There is talk of  carbon tax being applied to every household in Ireland, again its not going to stop the warming issue, and its unfair, because without a doubt the biggest polluters are the industrialists, factories, manufacturing plants etc, they should be made pay their share.

And what about the huge impact of disposable products, they are without a doubt the biggest problem of all, smart phones, a new model every turn about, same with tablets, same with all media devices, they are not made to last, so what happens, another new product is produced when the older one prematurely fails, basically designed to have a shot life cycle, the make it today make it again tomorrow generates huge revenue for the wealthy, but it also takes up huge amounts of energy and resources.

There is a chainsaw forum on here, I read all the time about saws having problems, and not lasting too long, so everyone just keeps on buying a new one, again short lived products that take up more energy and resources.

I have saws 40 years old and they still work, but that creates a problem, the manufacturers don't like this because they cant sell us a new product as long as the old one works, so what did they do about that, the short lived saw was invented.

Things need to change badly, but who is going to make the right changes.

1 hour ago, Echo said:

We currently pay carbon tax on coal, and oil, but this does not stop us burning it,

so in effect it is a useless in regard to helping the global warming problem, but it is very useful to the powers that be who take that money out of our pocket.

No, it has not stopped us burning it completely but we have cut back dramatically. To suggest that something is pointless as it's not 100% successful seems daft. Governments have to raise taxes one way or another so why not have it something that is polluting?