What would you have done with this tree?

Thesnarlingbadger

Hard to say what to do.  Main thing is your in one piece , having listened to your own warnings. What were the other climbers thoughts. Have a look another day you may feel better about it.

Other climber didn’t want to go near it. And with the risk of putting the roof through I wouldn’t want to put anyone else in the position. I’ve always said I’d never ask anyone to do want I couldn’t/wouldn’t. I’m sure there are climbers out there who wouldn’t bat an eye but the older I get the less I take risks. Money comes and goes but I only have one life.
  • Like 3

The old landscaper with an injury who was once a climbing expert ! think you made the right call without winching it ... ash under compression this time of year will usually barbers chair.
Maybe it’s best to go away and have a think about the job get the gear staff and plan sorted and go back.
I would probably go rig and tag line.

The old landscaper with an injury who was once a climbing expert ! think you made the right call without winching it ... ash under compression this time of year will usually barbers chair.
Maybe it’s best to go away and have a think about the job get the gear staff and plan sorted and go back.
I would probably go rig and tag line.

Hi Matty. Yeah I didn’t like the winch fell idea at all not with that much force already in it.

The rig tag line idea was my favoured but the I’d have to get out on the main low branch as it was to close to the roof the rig in one go and I don’t like the idea of that much weight shifting on an already externally springy tree over a roof.

Another idea I tried was to winch the leaning tree at about 8foot up from the base to get it away from the roof a bit (the amount we were able to pull the tree up with the winch was a good 15ft across but if the winch snapped or I accidentally dropped a limb on it the result could have been terrible not to mention tensioned winches around the ground staff, not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the input.

Climbed and cut and chucked, maybe zipping or rigging a bit (probably on my tail). If it seemed bad while spiking up, I'd have walked a pair of guy lines up with me (and back down as I chunked).

Not a bad shout but then I’d be adding more ropes in to an already tight spot with the rigging line as well. Although the trees behind look taller the angle I was at when roped in to then was near horizontal and made getting in to a comfortable position a nightmare.

Could you rig the whole thing back to something behind and just lower and cut it..

That was the plan but I wasn’t able to get up the tree high enough to cut in small bits the lean on it was giving it was to much bounce and any time I moved it would bow down about 5ft and spring up again. The main point and i’m willing to admit it is that I didn’t feel safe in the tree at all.

Mick in the second post got it I think. It doesn't look that big a job. 

It wasn’t a big job (the Ash was probably only 50ft) and to be honest if the roof wasn’t right under it I wouldn’t have had an issue I’d have just cut lumps off and sprung about a bit but I wasn’t comfortable getting up past standing in the main brake in the branches. The tree had so much movement. If the trees behind were higher and I could get a decent enough anchor I would have been a lot happier and probably not have started the thread. I know there are people on here who could have done the job without a second thought but not me.
  • Like 2