Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Just now, topchippyles said:

How does she feel now your using it.

Ok Les 

Lot different to the hands on feel you get with the woodlands, to tell truth they both have pros and cons. Log handling with likes of that Oak today was a different game all together, the machine is far more capable than me at the min, I am as the saying goes the weakest link right now 😀. Super capable machine Les but I think I’ll miss the 130 for the smaller detail oddball stuff I did a lot of. 

• Like 1

Constant demand for 4x1 fence rails at the moment.  Good size larch  keeps things going nicely, but it gets tedious when the small logs take their turn on the mill.  Next investment will be a twin blade edger!

How much are you getting for your rails per cubic foot?

Since my Mill is situated behind my new fence I’ve been getting loads of folk stopping and asking me to make them the same. I’m now short of supply I’ve stated £30 a cubic foot and sold everything I currently have spare at that.

Wish I could get more but only have another 5t on its way.

IMG_2894.jpg
  • Like 3

Just now, trigger_andy said:

How much are you getting for your rails per cubic foot?

Since my Mill is situated behind my new fence I’ve been getting loads of folk stopping and asking me to make them the same. I’m now short of supply I’ve stated £30 a cubic foot and sold everything I currently have spare at that.

Wish I could get more but only have another 5t on its way.

IMG_2894.jpg

1.8m 100x25mm  rails, they're £3.50/board.  About £750/m3   Dunno what that is in old money, but it doesn't feel like enough when logs are under 30cm top diameter 

• Like 1

1.8m 100x25mm  rails, they're £3.50/board.  About £750/m3   Dunno what that is in old money, but it doesn't feel like enough when logs are under 30cm top diameter 

I’ve a bunch of logs that I’ll get 4” posts out of. Soul destroyingly slow going.

If my basic math is correct £750m3 is £27f3. So much the same. Considerably more than others here suggested the going rate was. Supply and demand I guess?

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ve a bunch of logs that I’ll get 4” posts out of. Soul destroyingly slow going.

Aye, I bought 150t of larch from forestry here as firewood, it came in 2.1m lengths and over half of it was over 30cm ted.  I milled a few posts from it and put an advert locally on facebook............turns out I'm needing more firewood now for the winter.  
At the price I paid for the larch it made sense to mill it and get an instant return rather than have to wait 9 months for it to dry and start earning some coin.  Another 150t of the same stuff at the same price would great

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bilke_user said:

Aye, I bought 150t of larch from forestry here as firewood, it came in 2.1m lengths and over half of it was over 30cm ted.  I milled a few posts from it and put an advert locally on facebook............turns out I'm needing more firewood now for the winter.  
At the price I paid for the larch it made sense to mill it and get an instant return rather than have to wait 9 months for it to dry and start earning some coin.  Another 150t of the same stuff at the same price would great

What did you pay for it?

How do you go about contacting the Forestry?