Today's milling

Rough Hewn

5 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Be a nice job dave what ever you build buddy, Eggs will have you and trig humping each other on the other thread what a tool 😉

Lol 😂 0200 ish Les 🤔
Eggs will have to keep that as his and his alones fantasy I’m afraid. 

• Haha 1

Old age hitting my brain cells perhaps.  I had it in my head that it was a Sycamore as I remember taking the two halves of the tree from a neighbour.  It had blown down in a storm and hit his roof damaging some tiles and his car..  But this was some years ago and we also did take down a huge diseased Elm but I am 100% sure that was planked.  The Sycamore was full of burrs which may be the cause of the grain and colour.

I will check with him again as he wanted a dining table out of it.

Is there any other method of checking what tree it was? 

Now I look at it again the bark is not Sycamore and it may have been from one of the large upper limbs of the big Elm.  Also the Lucas did not like  it very much on the 8 inch vertical cut and for the first time ever in 25 years jammed on the sawdust as I approached the end of the cut!

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Old age hitting my brain cells perhaps.  I had it in my head that it was a Sycamore as I remember taking the two halves of the tree from a neighbour.  It had blown down in a storm and hit his roof damaging some tiles and his car..  But this was some years ago and we also did take down a huge diseased Elm but I am 100% sure that was planked.  The Sycamore was full of burrs which may be the cause of the grain and colour.

Now I look at it again the bark is not Sycamore and it may have been from one of the large upper limbs of the big Elm.  Also the Lucas did not like  it very much on the 8 inch vertical cut and for the first time ever in 25 years jammed on the sawdust as I approached the end of the cut!

A close photo of the grain would help.  Sure looks like elm grain, but when you zoom in it gets a bit blurry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Billhook said:

Very nice looking wood there. That should sell for a pretty penny!👍