Asthma, coughing and breathing

Stephen Blair

I read that, I would say to accept zero advice would be foolish.  To take it all as medical advice would be foolish too.  Already I’ve used the breathing technique standing up and not through my mouth earlier which I felt helped compared to what I was already doing.

Most of the Information on this thread I’ve received so far I’ve since done research on, and I’ll make a list of stuff to ask the doctor on Thursday.  

Which is why i did state not to folllow my advice and ask a dr.

I just googled it and see it still is a 'thing', Buteyko and i wasnae too far away with those breathing excercises.

A hold of less than 10 secs poor,  under 25 not great over 40 pretty good (explained on website better) see its pretty pricey now thou years ago was just an evening class in a village hall.

From memory the only thing that stuck with me was doing those breathing excercises and taping ur mouth shut, but it did help me

Duno if taping ur mouth shut will still be the 'reccommended' advice but was 20yrs ago and i rarely breathe throu my mouth now and it clears ur nose a treat.

Will also stop snoring

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1

I’ve just watched a Buteyko breathing video and tried it for a few minutes, I found it pretty hard, I’m obviously a mouth breather.  

There’s been a teacher 25 miles away from me, NHS referral only so I’ll ask the DR.

Currently making myself nose breath and I’ll see how I do for the rest of the night.

I have a had similar symptoms and was referred to a ENT clinic (Ear nose and throat), they stuck a camera up my nose and it turns out I had an infection up my nose...only way to get rid was spraying anti-biotics up my nose 3 times a day for 3 months, pills wont work...or its a simple op I think.

• Like 1

The breathing excercises aren't very hard and the lass that taught it said with practice u can do them anytime say while driving, watching tv etc

I think the excercises are more to test/improve lungs than how u breathe, thats wot the tapeing ur mouth was for to train ur body sub conciously at night and get it in the habit. Throu the day u just have to conciously try to nose breathe.

Or if ur really doubt it (wich i totally understand as taping ur mouth up is not a normal thing to follow advice from some internet numpty) tape ur muth up the now while ur doing something easy say watching tv etc, so absolutley no chance of anything bad happening to u.

But i really would get proper advice too and not trust an internet numpty and eave a big tag to pull it off with.

West i dunno if u have asthma or not but i generally prety much ignore most dr's advice on asthma now i have had it so long i generally know my own body/asthna pretty well now (althou wouldn't want others to follow if they don't understand there's), there always mumping that i never take my daily puffer and never seen the asthma nurse for years.

Had to see 1 a wee while ago as moved house/dr's and my blue (ventolin) instant relief puffers were full of sawdust and dented the other was 5 yrs out of date.

Swimming is really good for it and like many things the fitter/cardio vascuarly u are the better it will be (even thou u have a demanding job, ur body will get used to it)

Hi I have had ashma all my life , the usual puffers etc , doing spray painting as a job didn’t help , and now yrs and yrs working with wood I have COPD , no cure but looked into breathing treatments, liquorice tea helps it’s very subtle, manukau honey , it’s F###ing scary not being able to catch your breath , breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth works really well if you are having an attack but it’s quite hard to master especially when all you want is to gulp in mouth fulls of air and you start to panic, but just slow down and breath and keep an eye on the colour of your lips if they start to go blue ring 999. All the crap being sprayed into the atmosphere don’t help either but that’s a topic of its own 

Happy Christmas All.  Mark

• Like 2

As tree workers we work day in day out close to stuff that’s bad for us.

Even with aspen (which I am) using a saw you’re breathing in fine dust which is well known to be nasty, using a chipper there’s still dust so we wear good quality masks if it is bad eg filthy conifer hedging.

Even swinging an hs45 along a connie hedge all day is putting those spores and pollen in your lungs.

My coughing and bedtime wheezing comes and goes, I’ve been checked out with x rays and they say my “lungs are clear and my heart is strong “ although they did add I’ve built up a protective membrane around my lungs due to long term exposure to something, they used a lot of long words but that’s the gist of it, but you know when you’re not right, and often I’m not 100% .

All a question of moderation I suppose, of course it’s impractical to wear a mask most of the time, but absolutely necessary at other times, but when my deathbed comes, I don’t want to lay there gasping for breath thinking ‘if only’

• Like 1

The nose is our natural filter, so adjusting to breathing in through your nose may help, there's been a world of advice given on here, probably hard for anyone to try everything, main thing is not to get anxious about what it may be, so relax, slow down for the few days, try to slow your breathing, if that works for you, and give your muscles a chance to relax. Coughing is hard on the body.. Hope you have a comfortable, cough free Xmas Stephen.

• Like 1