Asthma, coughing and breathing

Stephen Blair

In the last few months I’ve been struggling with my breathing at night time, mainly coughing and phlegm.  Now it’s stopping me sleep.  

I think it’s been brought on by a prescription of Naproxen I was put on for my back with no thought to my child good asthma that I grew out of.  I’ve been of the Naproxen for months now and the symptoms are getting worse, booked in for the Doctor next week.

I went back into 2 stroke earlier in the year after being on Aspen for 5 years.  It was just easier 1 day as I had ran out.  I have been around saws, sawdust and running engines all my life, now 43 maybe it’s just caught up with me.

I own dogs, we have a working house and I’m on the tools so plenty of triggers around me.

Has anyone else been through the same and could offer me some advice please, many thanks.

All I can say is get to the Doc ( you are I know ) and tell him all of this . Get back to the Aspen . I had a weird thing last year . A cough that lasted for about 4 months . Nothing to cough up , just the persistent cough to the point of it making me pass out in the kitchen fracturing my eye socket and cheek bone and putting my teeth through my lip . Ambulance job . After that it just went . Some odd virus I think .   

Had bad asthma as a youngster but slowly grew out of the worst of it but always had a blue inhaler handy. Then had the flue in 2010 and it brought it back far worse. Many triggers for me with some household cleaners being very bad like Windowlean.  No problems with chainsaw dust but I do wear a mask when using the processor.

Bad again recently as there has been a nasty bug doing the rounds that has affected many peoples breathing. The symptoms have lingered so any chance this is the problem?

Some things that have helped me.

A steamy shower helps me clear the worst of the phlegm.

Buteco breathing technique. Didn't understand why but learning to breathe through the nose instead of the mouth helped.

Being fit has always helped and that has slipped in recent times so part of my problems. Hi intensity work being best

Hope you get it sorted

Edited by Woodworks

That’s horrendous Subby, I’m getting to the point of having to stop what I’m doing and sort my breathing.  I’ve started the 4,7,8 breathing today.  

Smells really get me and aerosols, always have done.  Certain detergent and the wife’s hair spray.  I’ve just removed the fan from the log burner as it must blow a lot of dust about.  My dogs are kennelled but they do get in the house but that stopped last week.

I’ve got huge tonsils which should have been removed as a kid so they catch everything.

Just been in the hot tub for 30 minutes with the steam but still took a coughing fit in there.  When I’m day dreaming and thinking really hard about something I just stop breathing, I do it at night now.

Hopefully a puffer will help.  We have went to town on the house with the hoover and dusters.  I bought a good mask with filters last week and back on the Aspen.

I’ll look up the Buttedo breathing now, thanks 

17 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

That’s horrendous Subby, I’m getting to the point of having to stop what I’m doing and sort my breathing.  I’ve started the 4,7,8 breathing today.  

Smells really get me and aerosols, always have done.  Certain detergent and the wife’s hair spray.  I’ve just removed the fan from the log burner as it must blow a lot of dust about.  My dogs are kennelled but they do get in the house but that stopped last week.

I’ve got huge tonsils which should have been removed as a kid so they catch everything.

Just been in the hot tub for 30 minutes with the steam but still took a coughing fit in there.  When I’m day dreaming and thinking really hard about something I just stop breathing, I do it at night now.

Hopefully a puffer will help.  We have went to town on the house with the hoover and dusters.  I bought a good mask with filters last week and back on the Aspen.

I am sure mine was an odd ball virus . Your situation seems worse mate .  I am fine now .  Ventolin and Becotide ( spelling ) were what a girl friend of mine used . She was a copper in the drug squad and swum for the police team  so she was no slug . still had the odd attack . Really frightening . Hope you get to the bottom of it bud .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Could you ask your doctor to do a comprehensive allergy test? There is a small chance it could be a food allergy or reaction to a chemical, usually from an artificial or highly processed food additive, aromatics or preservatives, Higher chance of it being dog or dust related to be honest but if you have ruled out the obvious it can be time to check for the unusual. Hope you get to the root of it and get it sorted.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Cheers, there are certain triggers that just catch me out the blue.  Hopefully the doctor will sort it.

Connor hopefully the doctor will do the allergy test too.  

As a hobby I do woodturning , about 4 years ago I have bad reperatory problems that led to chest xrays and was diagnosed with emphysema , NOT , I worked out what the problem was , I used a Trend airsheild combined face shield and air filter while turning , NOT good as the smaller dust particals were passing the filter ( BAD ) 

I now use a Sundstrom SR 500 filter belt mounted with a hose fed hood 100 times better , I keep it on all the time I am in my workshop , End result " NO MORE Breathing PROBLEMS " 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Hopefully a puffer will help.

almost certain it will - medications what you need

Aspen - never wanted the cost, spent countless days on a hedgecutter, no bother, if there's a slight breeze it's gone anyway.

Tree and grass pollen can make asthma worse,  the asthma nurse told me to take add an antihistamine when the pollen is high, she also recommended a flu jab, sometimes I bother to go get one.

I'm five years older than you and have always had asthma; inhalers have improved - an inhaled steroid for control (mine is Flixotide - good gear) and a bronchodilater (Ventolin) if you get wheezy during exercise or wake up with a tight chest. In the last few years they gave me a long acting bronchodiater as well called Serevent - this one in addition to the inhaled steroid has helped me through some long hard days.

Apparently a recent development in the treatment of asthma type airway constriction is ablation of some of the smooth muscle lining the airways - I've not been offered this, maybe it's reserved for real oxygen tent cases, but I like the logic of it - ablation means to remove or destroy - so at least some of the smooth muscle lining the airways is permanently got rid of by clever machines. I've always accepted the explanation that asthma is caused by things triggering smooth muscle spasms.

• Like 1