Asthma, coughing and breathing

Stephen Blair

If you're coughing up phlegm (what we in the medical field call a "productive cough") its probably ok. Means the lungs are working properly and clearing themselves. You may have had an infection some time ago and not realised? What I would do is encourage the expectoration with Plantain tea, picked from fields away from roads, obviously. See if it clears. I had asthma as a kid and grew out of it, but a few years ago it started coming back at times. I actually thought I might have silicosis from chasing walls inside without a mask years ago. Doctor diagnosed it as acid reflux. Apparently the stomach acid gets into the esophagus and vapours of such get into the bronchial tubes and freak out the lungs. Doesn't sound like your issue though.

I’ve stopped the Naproxen, the coughing plus constipation was brutal.

HairsOYC, as you say, maybe an infection and the phlegm has always been white apart from 1 morning it’s was thick yellow/brown so something had been in there.

Hopefully a brown and blue inhaler and I’ll be right, appreciate all the input guys.

• Like 1

A mate in his 40's had the same and found out it was asthma. An inhaler sorted him out within a day. 

I had a cough that lasted for months a few years ago, obviously had asthma,  every type of cancer and COPD at the same time. Dunno what it was a fckn luckily it went on its own accord as I did the idiot manly thing and didnt go to the docs. 

• Like 1

I’ve stopped the Naproxen, the coughing plus constipation was brutal.
HairsOYC, as you say, maybe an infection and the phlegm has always been white apart from 1 morning it’s was thick yellow/brown so something had been in there.
  Hopefully a brown and blue inhaler and I’ll be right, appreciate all the input guys.

Iv had asthma since I was a kid. A few years ago I had my first chest infection just after coming home from abroad. I was coughing up phlegm yellow/brown colour and could not breath at all. The doctor gave me antibiotics and steroids and within a week I was much better! Hope you get it sorted soon as there’s nothing worse not breathing right.
  • Like 1

Have a look into Buyteko?? (some russian doctor) helped me loads.

Dunno if still a 'thing' but used to do night classes in it 20yrs ago

1 of the things thery said which makes sense althou doesn't seem like it at the time if ur having an attack.

When ur breathing throu ur mouth ur breathing TOO much air and ur lungs can't process it in time so when ur havig an attack and gasping/panting it only makes it worse, hence why trying to control/slow ur breathing helps. Abd when ur lungs are constricted it needs even more time to process the air

Dunno if ur doc has gave u breathing excercises? Got loads as a kid.

But the 1 i learned throu buyteko casses was breathe out till lungs fairly empty then hold ur breathe as long as possible before u want to breathe in again, and time it. Don't push urself too hard u will feel it uncomfy and mibbee even ned to cough u don't want to be passing out.

Think they reckoned it needs to be 30 odd sec

The other even more bizzare thing i still do occassionally (but probably shouldn't mention on an open forum or u should get a proper dr's advice) is actually tape u mouth shut at nite when u go to bed. Sounds mental but does work.

Use that micro pore tape stuff (NOT gaffa tape) they say do it vertically at 1st and leave a great big 'tag' on it so u can pull it off if needed, ur body will do it sub conciously, then when sleeping with that on all nnight do it horizontally.

Been a long time since i've done it but any time i feel a cold/blocked nose coming on i tape my mouth up and nose is clear as a bell again.

As a kid i had very bad asthma, was often hos[italised and in oxygen tents think once spent almost a week in an oxygen tent in the hosp, thoose were the days when nebulisers were just becoming more normal, which were a godsend.

Once got a real bollocking of a mates dad the local dr, we were drinking round at his prob about 15 and everyone else was smoking apart from me, seemingly i as at that time the nearest kid he had seen to dying that survived, seemingly i was turning blue in the ambulance as it blue lighted/white lined it to hospital. So he wasn't happy if i was smoking and i never have

Now it rarely bothers me, i hardly take my daily puffer, only if i feeel a niggle usually if i have a touch of cold/infection and never carry my blue (ventolin) usually in a van

• Like 2

Aye if u think about it air is onlly 20% Oxygen so it takes time to process that in ur lungs probably longer when u've got asthna and there constricted, so when ur breathing fast it only makes the problem worse. (probably just circulating the air at top while stuff inside lungs never gets replaced)

Ideally u want to breathe throu ur nose 100% of time, but never going to happen esp if having an attack, another trick put ur hands on ur head and stand straigt up just as if playing sport (just opens up ur lungs etc) rather than hunching with hands on legs which is the usually stance when ur puffed/blowing

I mind with that breathing excercise we took outr heart beat at start of the meeting and end and over the 6? classes everyones heart rate had came down a good bit and came down further after the excercises. And it was a massive age range of folk from reenager to pensioner

They reckoned when u can hold for 30+ secs it has loads of other benefits for the body too

The medicine is pretty gppd now and will soon sort u out

I think with asthna ur not went to take that pain relief pills either? Not sur ethe name never really take pills or owt