Chainsaw refresher, a scam?

claydon

21 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

been driving 37 yrs and never had to or will need to go for a re test unless the goverment introduce something ?, 

Re test perhaps but I bet you would benefit hugely from some refresher training.

5 minutes ago, steve collins said:

Refreshers are needed as there are still  trainers/colleges out there handing out tickets like sweets which is not good for industry!!  All you end up with people who are competent on paper but are absolutely useless all because it looks good that they pass so many which means more business which means more MONEY MONEY!!

But i'm sure the exact same trainers/colleges will still be doing the refreshers courses so nothing really changes apart from the trainers get richer.

Just me refreshers are only relevent if the trainer/assor actually knows wot they're taking about.

This is possibly not a place to admit this but most of the stuff u learn on a course is just BS away, it might be great in an ideal situation to have all these winches/tirfors etc on the job site but when the job site is the top of the hill it simply isn't going to happen.

thats when the tricks that are often now frowned upon that the old boys taught u really help.

Like i said i probably shouldn't admit it but u'd never get owt done if u followed the text book 100%

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Re test perhaps but I bet you would benefit hugely from some refresher training.

sorry mate no re test or refresher needed on the driving front by a long way for me i drive fare to many miles and hours both on and off road in quite a few different types of vehicle,s but i know a lot of people who would benifit from some driver training BUT i must addmitt today i was stumped when i was asked to pull a drilling rig out that the driver had nearly buried. with a quite new john deer tractor about 280hp when i first jumped in the cab i thought F = = k me i need a degree to drive this buttons leavers switches and lights every where but after several minuets with alarms and lights flashing every where i finally worked it out and we towed the drilling rig out (31 tonne) and that made that tractor cough a bit,

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

sorry mate no re test or refresher needed on the driving front by a long way for me i drive fare to many miles and hours both on and off road in quite a few different types of vehicle,s but i know a lot of people who would benifit from some driver training BUT i must addmitt today i was stumped when i was asked to pull a drilling rig out that the driver had nearly buried. with a quite new john deer tractor about 280hp when i first jumped in the cab i thought F = = k me i need a degree to drive this buttons leavers switches and lights every where but after several minuets with alarms and lights flashing every where i finally worked it out and we towed the drilling rig out (31 tonne) and that made that tractor cough a bit,

Without being rude, you are deluded. Everyone could drive better. To think you are perfect is crazy (even trainers take training to keep skills current). I find the more people talk like you that when I get them on a course the worse they are. The more they say they only need one day the more time they actually need. 

24 minutes ago, Justme said:

Without being rude, you are deluded. Everyone could drive better. To think you are perfect is crazy (even trainers take training to keep skills current). I find the more people talk like you that when I get them on a course the worse they are. The more they say they only need one day the more time they actually need. 

deluded i am not, but may be going insane, and when your driving reaches the top what happens then ? not saying that mine is at the top, but when it comes to driving i may not be at the top but i do know that i am a long way of the bottom, and what have i said that i need one day on a course for ? if you would take me for a days course i would welcome that openly and if all went well i would recomend recomend  recomend you nationwide as i do with several other trainers and ascessors ,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

deluded i am not, but may be going insane, and when your driving reaches the top what happens then ? not saying that mine is at the top, but when it comes to driving i may not be at the top but i do know that i am a long way of the bottom, and what have i said that i need one day on a course for ? if you would take me for a days course i would welcome that openly and if all went well i would recomend recomend  recomend you nationwide as i do with several other trainers and ascessors ,

The one day comment was re the fact that most people think they can pass a vocational driving test in one day. Virtually no one can unless they have already had some training recently. 

24 minutes ago, Justme said:

The one day comment was re the fact that most people think they can pass a vocational driving test in one day. Virtually no one can unless they have already had some training recently. 

passed my driving test 3rd time 1st fail was 4 days after my 17th bday 2nd one was just after a massive storm in morcambe and ended up behind a skip full of sand with no cones or signs there and 3rd time was 3 days after 2nd on a cancellation hence wheres that skip at ,,,

16 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

passed my driving test 3rd time 1st fail was 4 days after my 17th bday 2nd one was just after a massive storm in morcambe and ended up behind a skip full of sand with no cones or signs there and 3rd time was 3 days after 2nd on a cancellation hence wheres that skip at ,,,

You have to wait 10 working days between tests now. Even getting a test date would mean you would not take a test that close to your 17th birthday. Plus theory test and that it takes much more time now to learn.

2 minutes ago, Justme said:

You have to wait 10 working days between tests now. Even getting a test date would mean you would not take a test that close to your 17th birthday. Plus theory test and that it takes much more time now to learn.

mine was back in 1982 when all driving test inspectors wore a trilby and smoked a pipe while testing you, test center had red and cream lino tiles on the floor and a vending machine that dished out coffee you could,nt drink fo 2p a cup, both my daughters have both past there driving tests of late and one was telling me about it and it makes mine look like a walk in the park,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Passed 1st time at 18, been driving for 40+ years without an injury at-fault accident, been driven into quite a few times though.

Drove multiple times per year to and on the Continent, all without incident.

Towed trailers up to and incl 3500kg, and not always with a 4WD either

So, not a lot to learn, quite seriously.

Both children recently passed 1st time with 3 minors.

Motor accidents  are also virtually unheard of within my extended family.

Down to Upbringing and associated traits.

Basically defensive driving, starting with my self-taught farmer father.

Safe chainsaw use is no different to driving and dammed all to do with "training".

cheers

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1