Working day start times

Jack.P

1 hour ago, john p said:

We tend to load up and leave 730/45, as said, an hour in the morning is worth 2 in the afternoon! Generally job and knock so often done by 1 or 2. I don’t think much gets achieved after 3pm, that’s why I try and avoid day rates where possible.

Please can I have a job? :)

16 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You'd start at that time for £10/hour after a 25 mile drive (depending where you are going that would take best part of an hour around here), in your own vehicle, crack on!

He said a 25 minute drive, but all the same, if you are at the stage in your career where you are earning a tenner an hour what difference does it make if you start at 5, 7, 9, 11? You don’t earn danger pay for owning an alarm clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, peds said:

He said a 25 minute drive, but all the same, if you are at the stage in your career where you are earning a tenner an hour what difference does it make if you start at 5, 7, 9, 11? You don’t earn danger pay for owning an alarm clock.

Fair play, my mistake.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Fair play, my mistake.

Then again, I speak solely from the experience of working in kitchens and catering, where hours and conditions are notoriously shitty, where you’re up two hours before breakfast and get home three hours after dinner, do that seven times a week, let the owner jizz on your face every now and then and you’ll still say thank you and beg for more hours, because we (the whole industry) had this stupid machismo bollocks going on where you’d assume you were better than everyone else because you could put the time in and get the job done to high spec for no money without complaining. It’s bullshit, and a huge reason why I’m not doing it any more.

So yeah, I’m all for people putting their foot down and not working silly hours in exchange for pennies, because it’s toxic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack.P said:

Just to clarify Job in question would have been 22miles each way ....25min drive possibly bit unrealistic anyway.to fill up any spare time over winter may look at getting more saw tickets 

22 miles in 25 minutes! I can't be bothered to do the math, but that must be mid 50mph from start to finish.

3 hours ago, Jack.P said:

What time would you consider is too early to start everyday for £10p.h ? I usually will work 9-5 type hours when doing sub subcontractor work or my own jobs .(£15-£20 p.h )

never been one for early starts .im not lazy  just realistic .and really can't see myself starting this early .been talking to someone who wants me to do some groundie jobs to start at 06.45 and is around 25 min drive so probably have to leave at 6.15 and be up 5.45 . I was just looking for bit more winter work initially as things can slow down a bit  coming into the winter .i was going to try it for a day with them tommorow but not sure now .even the thought of it makes me tired lol

Best start feathering your own nest then  ? .......    you  already sound like an ungraretful  twat  .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

If you have enough work to pay your bills then pick and choose your jobs to match the hours you want, everyone’s different.
site/none office work is normally a early start from my experience.
when i built VW’s the week running up to a show was lucky to see 3-4hrs kip a night the rest was in the workshop. graft when needed. collie puppy needing a walk before work gets me up at 6 every day

• Like 1

The constant theme on this site is guys saying they dont get paid enough and how rates haven't gone up. Then along comes a bloke saying "£10p/h isn't worth an early start to me, i'll leave that one." Thats  a good thing.

Then folks saying he's an ungrateful twat is a bit much I'd say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1