Councils undertaking tree work

Steve Bullman

So he is complaining that the council is carrying out tree works ? That was the case years ago. And as most council house stock has been sold off , and most Highways contracts farmed out to private contractors, he is suprised the council wants to do some work ? With their own gang ? K

15 minutes ago, Khriss said:

suprised the council wants to do some work ? With their own gang ? K

If their own gang was 100% self sufficient in training costs, equipment and everything else that a private contractor shells out, fair enough. 

When ratepayers contribute to a new chipper for us, then the playing field is level.

• Like 4

But using ‘taxpayer bought’ kit and resources to compete in the public sector can’t be right.
What happens next (and I’ve heard of this happening before) is that the TO turns up to look at a TPO app job with the council ‘tree guy’ and offers their services. The person making the the app thinks to himself (rightly or wrongly) I’d better go with ‘these guys’ or my app won’t be successful.......
Stinks...

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

But using ‘taxpayer bought’ kit and resources to compete in the public sector can’t be right.
What happens next (and I’ve heard of this happening before) is that the TO turns up to look at a TPO app job with the council ‘tree guy’ and offers their services. The person making the the app thinks to himself (rightly or wrongly) I’d better go with ‘these guys’ or my app won’t be successful.......
Stinks...

Clients are telling us that that is the impression they're getting locally.

• Like 1

Council run tree gangs working on non council trees to make the council money should have a huge competitive advantage. Their advertising powers are going to dwarf all but the biggest tree firms and access to TO's would take the will they won't they out of applying for TPO works. Their potential access to a huge range of kit from the council fleet, access to other staff and teams, the ability to tag works onto other contracts and always having there own works as a back up also a massive advantage.  Not to mention the back office support..

They also have a huge disadvantage, they are being run by council employees and are therefore restrained in many other ways.....  Instinct tells me that the bureaucracy and lack of drive is going to make them less efficient then a commercial outfit so they will have to charge a decent rate. 

If that is the case then it's not so bad.. 

• Like 1