rings vs pulleys

malc

I have always used pulleys when rigging and its time to replace the one I use.

I normally use the blue isc for either my main anchor point or when rigging down the stem onto itself.

I've never normally had any problems with this set up on either a dead eye sling or a whoopie sling, but now the new x-rings are out I'm thinking of changing to one of these instead.

they both work out the same price, so was wondering what people thoughts are using the new ring system instead of the pulley

thanks

• Like 1

My setup is the same as yours (blue ISC and usually natural crotch redirects) and I've been thinking about investing in more rigging stuff recently too. My thinking is that rings have weight, simplicity and friction in their favour but the bend radius is still much bigger (better) on pulleys. That doesn't seem to matter in the real world though. People are rigging big bits on rings fine. So I'll probably buy rings next rather than another pulley, partially so I have a mix of stuff but also because the weight is attractive for carrying them about for redirects (better than natural crotch for keeping the system slick enough that pieces can be tensioned/lifted).

• Like 1

In fact you've just convinced me to buy a ring and ring on a short strop that I can use for redirects (retrievable even) and that I can also prussik wrap onto a bigger strop for a second chunking anchor (the pulley being the other). Now that's a thrifty solution for a clean main system and a bonus double rope chunking system.

Edited to add: The big strop (with double rings prussik wrapped on) could also be used to equalise a pair of stems for some span type usefulness.

Edited by AHPP

Do not really get the whole ring thing myself ... it to me seems like doing a time warp back 20 years to when we all used topping strops, to me they offer no advantage what so ever in rigging although I use the safe bloc quite a bit now that is worth investing in... my rigging rings rarely come out to play

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Do not really get the whole ring thing myself ... it to me seems like doing a time warp back 20 years to when we all used topping strops, to me they offer no advantage what so ever in rigging although I use the safe bloc quite a bit now that is worth investing in... my rigging rings rarely come out to play

Same here.

We use pulleys a lot for redirects and 3:1's for pull trees and winching as well, so I'll be sticking to them.

'Oooooh, but the rings are lighter!'

Hit the weights then gaylords.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sell some to me if you like?