Best splitting axe?

Stumpy Grinder

Unless you always get the same wood then a spread of tools is handy.  Myself I find the x27 light enough for extended sessions but powerful enough for most work.  The really stubborn logs defeat it and I need more mass then, so out comes the stihl pro cleaving hammer (8lb head, 36" shaft).  Some stuff I get splits super easy and then it's nice to rattle through with a smaller/lighter axe and I'll pick up the x17 or a 28" handled 2 3/4 lb Elwell, although that's a chopping axe and not an amazing splitter.

I've also picked up a 6lb Wetterlings feller, a 4lb Kelly True Temper Jersey pattern and.....

A spread of tools is good!

The gransfors I've never used but only hear good things, I think it's an excellent tool. Worth the money?  If it gives you more pleasure to use a more 'artisan' or traditional tool then perhaps yes.  If it doesn't make you smile more.... Why not!!

Price wise though hults bruk/hultafors is cheaper and as good (not sure if they do a big splitter.... Think they do.... Or the Arvika, a race feller, has ample mass to split well), or a vintage Wetterlings.... These will bring Sweden's finest steel to you for a less painful price.  Reviving a vintage axe can also bring other pleasure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Id like to try the fiskers x36 or x46 or this.....

SIMPLEX-Splitting-Maul-with-cast-steel-h

I'd like the fiskars isocore but fiskars UK have no plans to bring it here, or didn't when I contacted them a while back. To me the x46/spalthammer didn't look a good bit of kit. That's why I went for the stihl maul, that and getting an eBay bargain.  Seller didn't realise it was the pro (bigger) version that cost £85 not £35ish, and no one else bid.  It's made by oschenkof....I think you may find their yellow painted version for about £70.... Stihl red must be expensive.  The fiskars isocore can be got from Amazon us but with shipping is £90+ 

I've seen that thing in the photo reviewed although can't remember it's name.  Search for maul_rat on YouTube, think that's the guys YouTube handle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, neiln said:

Unless you always get the same wood then a spread of tools is handy.  Myself I find the x27 light enough for extended sessions but powerful enough for most work.  The really stubborn logs defeat it and I need more mass then, so out comes the stihl pro cleaving hammer (8lb head, 36" shaft).  Some stuff I get splits super easy and then it's nice to rattle through with a smaller/lighter axe and I'll pick up the x17 or a 28" handled 2 3/4 lb Elwell, although that's a chopping axe and not an amazing splitter.

I've also picked up a 6lb Wetterlings feller, a 4lb Kelly True Temper Jersey pattern and.....

A spread of tools is good!

The gransfors I've never used but only hear good things, I think it's an excellent tool. Worth the money?  If it gives you more pleasure to use a more 'artisan' or traditional tool then perhaps yes.  If it doesn't make you smile more.... Why not!!

Price wise though hults bruk/hultafors is cheaper and as good (not sure if they do a big splitter.... Think they do.... Or the Arvika, a race feller, has ample mass to split well), or a vintage Wetterlings.... These will bring Sweden's finest steel to you for a less painful price.  Reviving a vintage axe can also bring other pleasure.

Good post.

?

• Thanks 1

I'd like the fiskars isocore but fiskars UK have no plans to bring it here, or didn't when I contacted them a while back. To me the x46/spalthammer didn't look a good bit of kit. That's why I went for the stihl maul, that and getting an eBay bargain.  Seller didn't realise it was the pro (bigger) version that cost £85 not £35ish, and no one else bid.  It's made by oschenkof....I think you may find their yellow painted version for about £70.... Stihl red must be expensive.  The fiskars isocore can be got from Amazon us but with shipping is £90+ 

I've seen that thing in the photo reviewed although can't remember it's name.  Search for maul_rat on YouTube, think that's the guys YouTube handle.
@neiln, would you stick with the traditional wood shaft, or do you rate the fibre reinforced shafts? I’m thinking more for vibration / shock reasons, only because i have an odd bad day here and there with my fingers and hands due to 20+ yrs of spannering and working in all environments.

13 minutes ago, Ratman said:

@neiln, would you stick with the traditional wood shaft, or do you rate the fibre reinforced shafts? I’m thinking more for vibration / shock reasons, only because i have an odd bad day here and there with my fingers and hands due to 20+ yrs of spannering and working in all environments.

I think it's more a matter of design then material.  I find the fiskars x27 comfy.  The x17 is noticeably stiffer as it's much shorter so can jar but doesn't vibrate if they make sense. A cheap fibre glass handled maul I had I didn't get on with and handle vibration was part of it.  A good hickory  handle will last a long while and can be very comfy but if it's too thick it will jar like a fibre glass handle.  My stihl maul handle is too thick, but it never gets used for long sessions.  I ought to thin it down, the advantage of any wood handle is that you can take a rasp or spoke shave to it and make it whippy and comfy.  Another disadvantage is cheap wood handles will break even without overstrike.  The bison pickaroon handles are awful.... Mine lasted no more than 3m3!  But it's now a much better tool with a whippy hickory handle.

If you split with a wooden handle axe, an overstrike protector helps a lot, as does good aim... But you'll still replace handles occasionally.  A 32" Smedberg shaft (what gransfors use I believe) isn't cheap.

I guess that's partly why the fiskars is my work horse, but I enjoy picking up my Elwell and once I get it hung I'll smile when I pick up the Kelly.

• Like 1