Yerl never guess what...

Yournamehere

Little while back, maybe on Pet Peeves, maybe elsewhere, someone mentioned the lost chain saw oil filler cap syndrome and the dribble down the leg of shame.

Well a friend of mine had the same thing recently; no sign of the oil cap whatsoever. Gone. Tried a few odds and ends and various sticks and was resigned to making something out of chewing gum or blu-tac.

This was on a little dolmar 100; nice handy saw for close quarter work in rhodies and the like but has got an odd little filler cap only about 3/4" diam so unlikely to find anything that fits in the usual run of things.

Tuesdayish I, er my friend was sorting through some bits and bobs and decided that that really old briggs & stratton engine that came off that really old mountfield rotovator which has since had a new engine fitted really could be dumped with no likely disruption of the natural order of things and apart from the carb there really was nothing worth taking off it. Let it go!

Ah! old fashioned oil plug: be nice to have a spare one, so as my friend was draining the oil anyway before taking it to the dump my friend put the filler plug in his pocket.

This afty, he put his hand in his pocket and took out the briggs oil plug and looked at it and a little light went on.

This evening he went in to the spare room took down the dolly and screwed the briggs oil plug in to the dolly chain oil hole.

Only bloody fits!

I mean not maybe or ish it's a perfect bloody fit!

A sacrifice to DIN the god of standardization is in order methinks.

Happy Days

Yourn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This little tale has made me feel a fair few percentage points better!

You couldn’t odds it.

My dad died a year ago yesterday, he’d have a proper smile on his face.

He used to keep some right old shite because ‘you never know when it might come in useful!’.

• Like 1

I work on the principle that most companies buy most stuff in and the companies that they buy stuff in from also sell the same stuff to other companies for other things and that it's just a matter of matching it all up.

You'd think in this day and age you'd be able to go

Dolmar 100 oil cap

>thread is xxx

>thread xxx also found on yyy

Here's to Contingency and I-Might-Want-That-One-Day!

And boo to What-Do-You-Want-That-For

Many years ago I observed the electric door lock mechanism was identical on both the rear hatch of the BX Citroen and the rear door of the early 1980's vintage 460 "G" Wagen (probably Valeo or similar OEM.)

The Citroen part "probably" retailing for somewhat less than the identical  MB component!

Ditto for the headlights for a particular early BMW model, which were identical to those fitted to a  Ford Capri model(I think) at about 1/4 the price.

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, difflock said:

Many years ago I observed the electric door lock mechanism was identical on both the rear hatch of the BX Citroen and the rear door of the early 1980's vintage 460 "G" Wagen (probably Valeo or similar OEM.)

The Citroen part "probably" retailing for somewhat less than the identical  MB component!

Ditto for the headlights for a particular early BMW model, which were identical to those fitted to a  Ford Capri model(I think) at about 1/4 the price.

marcus

Bentleys used to have Citroens hydraulic suspension back in the day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

Well, the Kaleds were big buyers of Morris cars until that catastrophic world  war on their planet reduced them to mutants, requiring those carriages - guess there is a lesson in there somewhere ;) k

Who were the Kaleds ?