my Firewood production set-up

difflock

Eh Steve, ye spotted me particular peccadillo, trying to be different.(An using big fancy wurds)

Regardless, as the wet billets come off the splitter they get set into the former and then strapped up, a simple bale spike then moves/transports/rehandles the bundles as required, incl setting into my shed, where I open a bundle and cut to length, which lasts us  2 to 3 weeks, & keeps the shed tidy(cough cough, but not really!)

Other plusses;

(o) Strapping is cheaper than IBC's,  potato boxes, etc etc, at least I reckon

(i) They dry so fast/ so much better, due to optimum airflow

(ii) I can stack 4 high, and 5 high should be OK, so less room needed

(iii) Easy to cover( I got old across the street type advertising banners)

(iv) When I  sell firewood, I can say that is reasonably exactly a 0.5m3 of solid strapped firewood.(and I might even start weighing the bundles, at a stated, meter derived moisture content)

(v) Easy to set onto a trailer or into the back of a Van

(vi) Easy to roll about on hardstanding, like into a customers shed, cos they be tightly strapped.

(v) One customer actually likes taking the bundles as his father likes to "manufacture" his own firewood, i.e. play with his chainsaw.

And finally, my overweening argument, Cos like, Der Germans do it that way.

But the accelerated drying is I think key.

cheers

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Der 461 Steyr Puch has been working for her keep this past 2 weeks, hauling kerbs and premix concrete for me to set aforementioned kerbs, not bad for a relatively neglected 20 year old.

But as soon as I get the building works finished I will lavish some tender loving on her over the winter months.

Unfortunately it looks like she will need a new offside front wing, though the chassis is still shiney and sound.

Cheers

marcus

oops

a 605C Fiat crawler, nominal 60 HP, unfortunately missing the High/Low gearbox, but very very easy started and fuelled.

Edited by difflock