Tree roots and water pipe

woody paul

28 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

It is unlikely to be the tree IMO. Roots do not squash pipes..

It is also unlikely the roots are in the  mains water as that is under pressure.

Roots get into waste pipes that are leaking. 

Do they not? This one looks pretty crushed to me.

• Like 1

Not being argumentative eggs, but do you reckon that that pipe, in the video, is as stiff as the blue MDPE stuff. 

Reason I ask is that I've found the yellow gas pipes under stumps with very little deformity although they were almost fully occluded. Well until they were ground through.

20 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Not being argumentative eggs, but do you reckon that that pipe, in the video, is as stiff as the blue MDPE stuff. 

Reason I ask is that I've found the yellow gas pipes under stumps with very little deformity although they were almost fully occluded. Well until they were ground through.

Don't know, you don't get a good look at the sidewall of the pipe. the point is trees will damage pipes by crushing, breaking or infiltrating them, even if the pipe is under pressure, allthough less likely. I've found (hair like) roots growing in couplings on water mains. which happened first, the coupling leaked, or condensation drew the root to the pipe?

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it just recently the pressure has dropped? Water companies sometimes reduce the pressure in drought conditions. It might explain why there is no sign of leaks at the moment as well

Sorry. Just seen it's been 2 years. Can't be that

Edited by Con
Didn't read op properly

Just now, Con said:

Is it just recently the pressure has dropped? Water companies sometimes reduce the pressure in drought conditions. It might explain why there is no sign of leaks at the moment as well

Pressure is good up the road at farm and house so not water company dropping pressure.

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Do they not? This one looks pretty crushed to me.

There is always an exception.. However as I understand it is not going to happen with pipes under pressure such as mains water.

Root ingress may happen but again unlikely in pressurised pipes. It is not a suitable environment for root growth in most cases..

29 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

There is always an exception

I have tried about everything at the moment to get better pressure, but if I dig new pipe around tree and i get better pressure it will set record straight.

6 minutes ago, woody paul said:

I have tried about everything at the moment to get better pressure, but if I dig new pipe around tree and i get better pressure it will set record straight.

How far is it from the known good pressure at the farm to the house?