Tree roots and water pipe

woody paul

Water pressure has dropped off to house in the last couple of years, have checked for leak found a couple of small leaks between mine and house up the road this is all on private property   but still bad.

Pipe travels by a oak tree so has anyone now if root can squash pipe to cause restricted flow.

41 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Water pressure has dropped off to house in the last couple of years, have checked for leak found a couple of small leaks between mine and house up the road this is all on private property   but still bad.

Pipe travels by a oak tree so has anyone now if root can squash pipe to cause restricted flow.

I suppose the roots could crush the pipe but it's more likely that roots have got into the pipe if it's leaking in that area.

Since you've already found some leaks I'd suggest you replace the whole lot out of the way of the tree. I repaired mine three times in two years. I gave up on the end and replaced with new from the meter to inside the house.

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

What’s the pipe made of, that blue plastic stuff about 2.5 inc dia. ?

4 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

What’s the pipe made of, that blue plastic stuff about 2.5 inc dia. ?

2-1/2" diameter on a domestic supply? Probably between 25mm and 32mm if in MDPE (blue plastic stuff). Depending on the age of the property and the original supply it will probably be iron or lead.

56 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I'd suggest you replace the whole lot

What are the rules for this? I know it needs to be 750mm below ground but if I ask for a new connection at the road they'll want money and a meter. Currently still on 3/4" galvanised iron but it is probably quite furred/rusted up.

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

It is unlikely to be the tree IMO. Roots do not squash pipes..

It is also unlikely the roots are in the  mains water as that is under pressure.

Roots get into waste pipes that are leaking. 

14 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

What are the rules for this? I know it needs to be 750mm below ground but if I ask for a new connection at the road they'll want money and a meter. Currently still on 3/4" galvanised iron but it is probably quite furred/rusted up.

Yes, 750mm minimum. Your water supplier is responsible (on the whole) for the supply upto your boundary or meter/stopcock, after that you can pretty much do what you want with it.

42 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

2-1/2" diameter on a domestic supply? Probably between 25mm and 32mm if in MDPE (blue plastic stuff). Depending on the age of the property and the original supply it will probably be iron or lead.

I'm crap at estimating sizes Eggs, but yeah after looking at what 2.5 in is on ruler, I may have overestimated :D 

My missus has always been a bit disappointed with my ten inch.... :blushing:

Going back to the original question, I'd doubt that trees roots would compress a MDPE pipe unless it was actually growing under the stump or really close, and then I'd still be doubtful.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes, 750mm minimum. Your water supplier is responsible (on the whole) for the supply upto your boundary or meter/stopcock, after that you can pretty much do what you want with it.

So I can connect to my side of the stopcock without asking?